IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Sunday, June 11, 2017

It's Corn on the Cobb Day!

What's not to love about this truly American dish? Boiled, grilled, pan fried, Yum! I must admit that I look for the big ears coming out of the Midwest when I'm buying though. They just make my mouth happier than our Texas stock. I think our harsher environment has a lot to do with it but that's just me.

The last time I got on MyFace someone had posted the recipe for Jack in the Box tacos. Love 'em or hate 'em doesn't matter even though I am squarely in the former category. Here it is.
I did take a few liberties with the ingredients but the were minor liberties. For the Chili powder I used a red medium that came from New Mexico via a neighbor. It keeps well in the freezer and we use it on a lot of different stuff. Like this mornings' omelettes. For the taco sauce I used a spicier Mateo's Salsa from HEB. I probably should have used just a tad more to up the fluid content as the end product was a bit "thick". The biggest hurdle was the tortillas. WE used fresh corn but when we got to the folding part they kept tearing. Made one hellofa mess in the oil. I sorta got around this by not so much folding them as holding them together then laying them on their side in to the oil. This left them without that sealed look found in the original treat. This recipe also makes for 12 tacos but they are waaaay more stuffed that the real deal. I also tried putting the cheese in prior to hitting the oil. Don't do that. Cheese n crackers what a mess! Adding the nice cool lettuce at the end, spooning in a little salsa over it and strap on the feed bag baby it's time to eat. We ended up with 10 that were edible as tacos and they were very good! Wyatt came home a hour later and ate the last 4 and they were cold. And greasy but that's why we like 'em right? OK Short version. At 99¢ for two I'll drive to the nearest Jack in the Box. I know the mess was mostly me but frying, inside, is tedious for the cleaning lady and the exhaust fan. Especially when the metal slotted spoon made contact with my finger. Most of that taco landed on the bread box. Most. Nope. This goes right up there with making your own tamales. If you've ever tried this you know what I mean. It was fun, they were damned good but worth the effort compared to  short drive and seasoned curly fries? Mr. Box, you have a customer for life. Next up, Susans' meatloaf.

Steak and Sinatra ticket sales end soon. They will order the (ribeyes?) and spuds and the rest will be history. Bring your favorite beverage have a seat, visit with your friends and neighbors and get waited on. And you don't even have to clean up. Win Win! Call Wanda today!
There were four sophomores taking chemistry and all of them had an 'A' so far.
These four friends were so confident that the weekend before finals, they decided
to visit some friends and have a big party. They had a great time but, after all the
hearty partying, they slept all day Sunday and didn't make it back to Texas Tech
until early Monday morning.

Rather than taking the final then, they decided that after the final they would
explain to their professor why they missed it. They said that they visited friends
but on the way back they had a flat tire. As a result, they missed the final.
The professor agreed they could make up the final the next day.
The guys were excited and relieved. They studied that night for the exam. 

The next day the Professor placed them in separate rooms and gave them a test booklet.
They quickly answered the first problem worth 5  points. Cool, they thought!  
Each one, in a separate room, thought this was going to be easy ... then they turned the page.
    
On the second page was written…


    For 95 points: Which tire?

My iPhone 6 committed suicide Friday. I have witness'. It's no secret there was no love between us. Being an Applehead since the 80's I've paid my dues and I will tell the good folks at Apple that the iPhone 6 was the biggest POS you ever released on the public. And yes that includes the Lisa. I swore it would be the the last Apple product I ever bought. So when it performed a spectacularly flawless double gainer into Clear Lake I didn't even flinch. I had my heart st on an old school flip phone and went so far as to bring one home. I obviously forgot how much fun it was keyboarding on the little guy. MJ was on her last nerve and somehow located my old iPhone 4. After 2 years in a box it needed a charge but then it was ready to go. Contacts, calendars, games and even my favorite weather app were all there greeting me like a good dog. I drug it to the AT&T Store, they spin it up in two minutes flat and voila! I am a happy boy. Coincidence that the two worst cell phones I've ever owned are both at the bottom of the same lake and not that far from each other? I think not. I'm thinking it's just good juju.



No comments: