IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Thursday, May 18, 2017

NATIONAL CHEESE SOUFFLE DAY

Not personally a fan but hey, don't be judging me.

Did you know that it was 1980 when we got to be officially separated from Kemah on our zip code? Even though we were a city before they were, it seems they had the Post Office. It wasn't that long ago when there was a movement afoot to get our own Post Office. That idea met a sure and certain death from DC.

Here's how Galveston County sees us. Some interesting stuff..
http://www.developgalvestoncounty.com/our-communities/clear-lake-shores

In 1980 the City was also on the Corps of Engineers shit list for filling in Shell Bottom park. That's the official name of the boat ramp. Much like the Flounder Pond area subsidence had taken it's toll. We won.

As I read these old Islanders I get the feeling that I'm getting to know some of these folks even though we've never met. Digital voyerism? Whatev.
I never met Virginia Bolin but I do know her daughter(?) Teresa. Virginia was another genuine mover and shaker of her time. She was a regular contributor to the islander with her This and That column which does not disappoint. I just read where she passed and can't help but think it affected everyone on the Island in some way. Yes, She was that in to it. Farewell Ms. Bolin. I miss you already.
Ever meet Alma Roeshot? Me either but she was the City Historian. October 15th was proclaimed Loretto Garst Day. She was another one of our Island treasures. Her daughter Jean lives on W. Shore. There was the great rubberband debate of '99 but you'll have to read about that one yourself. The restrooms at Deephole Park have been taken care of by public works but the damned copier in the office has been broken since last year. Priorities much? Kemah started a Farmers Market. Same place as the one you probably know (knew?) Seems that real estate was just destined to become a boat sales lot. All houses built after the flood of 79 have to be elevated and last but certainly not least Walter Birkman has been shot. He lived. His mom took him to the docs where a bullet was removed. Apparently one of his neighbors doesn't like him. Walter is a cat. Did you hear the one about the NAACP coming to Clear Lake Shores? Yeah. Clue. Fishing is involved.

For my next magic trick I am going to attempt to find recipes posted in our old Islands and recreate them. I promise no beets will be harmed in this attempt. Stand by for more.

Heard of Piescrapers yet? you will. Some look like this.
And some look like this!
I'm looking for ideas for the newly (re)formed Clear Lake Shores Yacht Club. Got any you want to share? Something along the lines of "A Drinking Club With A Boating Problem"
For a logo,
Or maybe this in cartoon
Lets chat.
Not good.....

No comments: