IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Monday, April 10, 2017

NATIONAL SIBLINGS DAY


National Siblings Day (also referred to as Sibling Day) is observed on April 10. It is a day created to honor our brothers and our sisters.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Spend some time with your siblings if you have any and use #NationalSiblingsDay to post on social media.
HISTORY
National Siblings Day was founded by native New Yorker, Claudia Evart in 1995 to honor and celebrate siblings. After losing her two siblings early in life in separate accidents, she knew how important siblings could be in our lives.
Call yer kin.

Having a bad day at work? Read this. 
Now, whaddaya say...

Chloe's story. Ever notice the asparagus fern in my front yard? Me either. Not. Sometime after 1953 and before 1959 my Grandmother put two massive cement planters on her front porch in Griffith Indiana. They look a little like these and weigh a ton and a half each.
In one side was this fern and and some stinky ass flowers in the other. My first memory of this plant is that it has teeth. A good lesson for a 5 year old. I just google mapped the house, My Uncle Tony lives there, and those planters are still there! When She passed in 1972 my Mom and one of her big Sisters uprooted the fern and whacked it with a hatchet so each could have a piece. I'm not sure what My Auntie Leigh did with her half but in 1994 when my Mom was still able to talk she gave me this scrawny twig in a tiny pot and said, and I quote "If you kill this plant I will come back and haunt your ass". Never one to question the Momster, I kept an eye on it and named her Chloe. One morning a few years later I woke to find Chloe hidden in a cloud of spider web like stuff. Remembering my orders I ran, not walked, over to Maas Nursery on Toddville road. I held the infected plant up to the lady at the counter and she proceeded to spray me and my spider mite infected plant with some really nasty stuff. Once properly educated and wiped down I was sent on my way. Chloe was planted in a large pot when we moved to Sunny San Leon. Sometime in the late 90's my little Sister wanted a cutting so we upended the pot and did a 1972 on the fern. When we moved to the Island Chloe was put in a still larger pot and allowed to "flow". Enter Hurricane Ike. She went under "water" as did everything else on the deck but unlike most everything else she survived. After all the post Ike construction we discovered Chloe root bound to the nth degree and reenacted 1972. Now we had Chloe and C2 and they were planted in matching containers. Sometime in 2013 ish we noticed nasty yellow jackets
had built a subterranean nest in C2 and after everything we tried failed, C2 was euthanized. Chloe persevered. 45 years after the hatchet incident of '72 we used a machete. We had to reduce Chloe to a manageable  mass and we finally planted her big ass in the dirt. Go Chloe go. That's 10 minutes of your life you'll never get back but I feel better. And so does my Mom. 

Found out Officer Charles Akin has left our fair City. Charlie, I know you drop in here from time to time so from me to you, Adios my friend. I miss you dropping in from time to time. You made our little pile of mud a better place to live. All the best to you and yours!


No comments: