IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

National Pretzel Day

That works for me. Name your favorite, Rold Gold (Mini twists for me) or Snyders? Or those artery busters at the mall...wrapped around a Nathan's hot dog. This is me slobbering.

We hit the jackpot a few days ago. Loooong time resident, neighbor, civic activist, and club contributor Sue Davis kept a trove of old Islanders. Her Granddaughter Lindsey Thomas who lives at Sues old place found them and asked Sue if she could give them to the Civic Club. Naturally Sue said yes. I've been scanning them in foir the past few days. I have sent some '85, '89, most of '90 on to the web gurus, to get them loaded on to the Clubs web site. There is a link over there →
If my scanner/printer holds out I expect to be done by early May. There is soooo much cool stuff in these old files. You think we had some stinky business a  few years back? It ain't new. Some of the conversations we are having today were had 20 plus years ago. Some of the names have changed but not all! I have even scanned in the old ads. It's interesting to notice the prices. My favorite story is from late 90early 91 about all these new folks moving in and wanting to change things. HA! The more things change eh? Who remembers Betos? Fat Al's? Gracies? Now it's Skippers. I go back to Betos. If you get a chance give 'em a read, I think you'll find them entertaining.
They have free Dunks at the Office. 4 per person. Get 'em and use 'em. Not sure what a dunk is? You put it in standing water and it kills mosquito larvae. Tis the season. I put 'em in my rain barrels.

Next week is the Civic Clubs Ice Cream Social. It's at the pool and they will be selling pool memberships so bring your checkbook. The Ice Cream is free to members.

Just caught myself yelling at the TV. Some stupid reporter was asking how the Prez is going to stop rich folks from taking advantage of the new tax code. I want someone to tell the dumbass that rich folks didn't make the tax code. The swamp dwellers in office did. Sheesh.
nom nom nom

No comments: