IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Sunday, March 19, 2017

National Let's Laugh Day

Always good for a chuckle.
Callaloo:
Callaloo is a popular Caribbean dish originating in West Africa served in different variants across the Caribbean. The main ingredient is a leaf vegetable, traditionally either amaranth, taro or xanthosoma. 
Thanks Wiki!
I grew up eating spinach. My Dads favorite. His whole family grew up eating weeds. Collard, Mustard, Dandelion, and Spinach. That's what happens when you are dirt poor in the middle of Arkansas in the 20's. We had it several times a week. I could smell it blocks away and I hated that shit beyond words. You "older" folks out there can relate to "you will eat whats on your plate." So I did. Sandra cooks it up in Jamaica and while it smells different it looks oddly familiar. That said it taste nothing like the boiled green crap I had to endure in my tender years. Readers Digest version, I went back for seconds. Odds are I won't go looking for it here but I will definitely have it if offered. Whodda thunk it. 

YS Falls is a tourist attraction we had in our sights. Anyone been there? It's a working cattle ranch that has the Wyes River running through it and through it's path are about 7 different waterfalls. The Owners, Simon and Dawn, spotted a secondary revenue stream and voila! A picturesque water park is now open to the public. The zip line was the main attraction for most of us but your truly forgot to take his camera 😕


We stopped at the Whitehouse fisherman's Co-Op on the way back. Looking for some yummy, fresh fish for 

Escovitch is the Jamaican version of the Spanish Escabéche (searing of meat or fish and adding to a vinegar salad, served cold or at room temperature). The fish is cooked and then a spicy marinade is added. I've used red snapper but you could use any other firm fish such as rainbow trout. Thanks Food.com
Check out there fish traps.

Here's a quick peek at Melinda's suitor. He asked her to marry him. How ya gonna deny this hunk?

Tomorrow, the touristy side of Jamaica. None too shabby but utterly predictable. Time for mudbugs is nigh.

No comments: