IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Monday, September 12, 2016

Winner, winner

Chocolate Milkshake day! What?
For all you drop in's out there who don't live here, This is for you. The year after Hurricane Ike literally beat our collective butts into the mud we decided to celebrate. The last of the trash had been hauled off and those who could rebuild were either done or well on their way. It was time to celebrate. Our neighbors to the east is an equally tight knit community named Lazy Bend. A few of us on both sides of the canal decided it was time to have a neighborhood block party. And what a party we had. When neighbors get together like that everything just gets better. This past weekend we had the 8th annual Block Party.
Then we got a taste of a very week cold front. It cooled things off for a little bit but just a little.
Not too long after Ike a couple of neighbors and elected officials cooked up the idea of a summer concert series and Voila! Jammin' on Jarboe was born. Jarboe being ur largest park and is named after the bayou that borders it to the south. Tip of the hat to the maestro behind Jammin'. Dennis that was one great band you had lined up for Saturday. Keep up the good work my friend.  It's the little things like this that make this one of the best places in Texas to live. Who else can honestly say they know there neighbors 4, 6, 8 blocks away? Bingo.
The 9/11 anniversary has come and gone. I think the rest of the world covered it well. Never Forget.
AND THE TEXANS WON! Take THAT Rey Gomez!!
Camping adventure, part dos.
Last month while, strolling through our very own Home Depot I spied a device that caused an immediate brain fart. It is called  hitch extender.
 
It allows for an extra receiver and I instantly envisioned and place for our hitch basket AND out bike rack! Awesome now we can go camping and take all our camping toys with us. I drug our 1964 Aljo over to Gulf Coast Trawl Doors, our local welding experts, for a retro fit. I pointed out what I wanted and lo and behold two hours later I was ready to go. I drug the box back and proceeded to sand and paint our new addition. 

I plugged the hitch basket and the Yakima bike rack the loaded them up. Hmmmm.
Plan B. There was just too much bounce on the basket. I removed the Yakima and we decided to make our first trip with just the basket. All that was in the basket was out two burner cooker. 80 lbs max. We made it all the way to La Porte. What is that 10 miles? tops. The noise was not an impact sound. When we finally got off the road to investigate the noise this is what we found.
It was apparently too much weight for our 50 year old bumper. On to Plan c. We unloaded the basket, stuffed everything in the back of the car and proceeded on the Village Creek. Looks like I need to see Billy and discuss options. I love camping.
I'm gonna be a nosy ass and go check out the shithole on Aspen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Nothin falls off my trailer unless I want it to!"

Anonymous said...

As long as Roslyn doesn't call the police on you. Roslyn = Buzz Kill