IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Relax

It's only National Pecan Cookie day. Happy Hump Day anyway.

The 50th Anniversary Civic Club T-Shirts are on order. Hopefully we'll have them soon. Plan A is to have them at Lowell Brown Sunset Park and invite everyone down to not only meet some neighbors and pick up your awesome t shirts but to watch a gorgeous sunset too. Sounds like a plan. Ooooh maybe it could happen on National Night Out? We'll see. More as I get it. And Thanks for supporting your Civic Club.

Here's what went on at the City Council meeting last night. Some of it anyway. And a special thanks to my secret source who was there in my stead.
Sounds like the permits for the Okies spot will get issued early next week. Yay!
Our Code Enforcement folks are on Fuller's shithole like white on rice. Still not sure how this will end. I see the city taking this one on the chin.
Birch is about to be a mess of construction. I for one am ready for that adventure to be over with.
All you waterfront lease holders , now is the time for you to check your place and make sure everything is up to snuff. The Waterfront team is about to start inspections. The two waterfront lease folks were no shows so no new info there. Say that three times real fast.
They want to fine tune the sign ordinance. The Window Tint guy believes his trailer with advertising all over it does not count as a sign. I tend to agree with him.
All the ordinance actions passed. There will be some new signage at Jarboe park. Turns out it was a stipulation of the original grant and it provides signage for most of the wildlife in the area.
Last but not least the City attorney will look into the pier issue. Who "owns" it and who has jurisdiction over it. Looks we'll have to wait a little longer for this to be resolved. Wonder if I'll live that long.
The next City Council meeting will be on Wednesday October 5th. They move this one to participate in the National Night Out event which is the first Tuesday of October.

I am trying to make a great hamburger bun. I'm no baker  but I'm no stranger either. I've mad more than my share of bread and rolls over the years most of them were even edible. Hamburger buns are a tad different. They need to be a little lighter in the middle and not too crisp on the top and bottom. My first outing was a straight up waste of flour. I re reread the instruction several times where it stated clearly "do not let the dough rise" trying to understand. My end product clearly showed that I did not. They were tasty but hard as a friggin' rock. I think I chipped a tooth. The turtle doves on my front porch love 'em so not a total waste.
NEXT!
Was a recipe for a brioche hamburger bun. Maybe a baker can explain what makes it brioche instead of "regular" bread. I think it's because of all the dairy that's added. They were pretty dang tasty just waaaaay too big. I can fix that. I need some poppy seeds.

And another moron gets pulled over by the Police and gets out of the car with a book that looks like a gun... you have to wonder if it rains a lot on their planet. Chlorine in the gene pool.

No comments: