IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Monday, August 15, 2016

National Relaxation Day!

What a great day after National Filet Mignon Day!!

I don't know about y'all but today's high of 82 is a damn sight better than those 98's we had last week. And I think the rain got here just in time for my lawn. All my rain barrels were getting low too. As of this typing I got just shy of 4" on the deck.
So we're sitting around Saturday morning when I get this text message from my pal Todd. "Allan, Bryan, Y'all interested in dinner at our house tonight at 7. Deal is that we bring each of you a whole duck by noon. Everybody cooks their duck then sows up at 7."
WTH. I've had duck once. In '78 I think. That is the extent of my duck repertoire. Was. Step one was obviously what to do with this.
As it turns out there is a market for Anatidae extremities. As I understand it when prepared correctly they are considered delicacies. I personally balk at the word delicacy. I think its code for shit i would not normally or willingly put in my mouth. Maybe thats just me. 
After a light dusting with my favorite rub, Scooter Spice, and a loving rub  down with a fresh Orange in to my second favorite cooking device the Big Easy, About 90 minutes later we got this.
Not too bad if I do say so myself. But considering the company I keep I'm OK with it.

Here is the house presentation which I really liked. Who knew duck tasted so good?
Little brother Jim, Who I consider to be one of the best cooks I have ever met brought this Asian style with grilled dates.
Final entry was unique in itself. How many out there even own a real Dutch Oven? Let alone use it. Brother Bryan has this down.
Drooling on your keyboard yet? Liar, liar pants on fire.

And yes. We called it a Duck-Off.

Made biscuits this morning. Found this in my bag of Grands. 
Cooked it anyway.
Have a great week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious, LOVE duck! Eat it on the ship a lot when we cruise.

Suz