IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

TA DA!!

It's National Scotch Day. Halleluja!!
Trees. Great big ol' trees. The focus of this road trip was the General Sherman. It is a 2,200 year old tree that is 275 feet tall, weighs about 13,500 tons and would take Me, Bryan, Jim, Todd, Rick, Randy, Jimmy, Glenn, Rob, Gary, Rob B, Craig, Freddy, Larry, Skooly, Grant, Mark and Mal holding hands to get around this beast. Our closest comparison is the 1,500 year old Live Oak down at Goose Island. Close, no cigar. We had a few issues getting to it in that a road map does not accurately reflect mountain roadways. Much like they also do not reflect waterways. If you've ever heard my canoeing the Brazos story you know where I'm going with this. Looking on a map the trip from Bakersfield to the Northern section of the Sequoia park is two plus ish hours. What the two dimensional map can not properly reflect are the switchbacks that you are driving on at 15 mph because you are climbing a goddam mountain in a car. My tiny little minds eye never imagined that these wooden giants only grew on the top of a mountain. Much like my tiny little minds eye never imagined the need for a sign that clearly states Do Not Approach The Bears. I'm good with that But it begs the question who needs that sign? And then you need to ask yourself are we not interfering with natures grand plan? Too many questions. Driving in the mountains in Arkansas I remember my Dad's driving instructions sounding something like " See that sign that says 30 mph? well you can usually get by at 40, See that sign that says 20? you can usually get by at 30. See that one there that says 15? You damn well better be doing 10." There were a lot of 15's. So what at first blush was a 90 minute drive blossomed in to a full morning drive.
Lest I forget, We did manage a stop in Visalia at a placed called Dimples Diner. Again, Thumbs up across the table. They had more of a breakfast than they could finish and I had a patty melt. Now, I've had and grilled more than my share of onions. I like onions. I grow onions because I like to eat them on lots of stuff. But I have never before had grilled Red onions. I'm a better man. Back to the trip.
We left the park from the opposite end as it was pointing north. Next Stop, San Francisco. Woot! I personally like the city. I think it's gorgeous and a lot of fun. The last time I was there was a few months after the big shake in '89. We came in from Oakland and since it was late the traffic was doable and Siri led us right to our hotel at Fishermans Wharf. The fog was trying to roll in and was a visible blanket out our window. Off to the Wharf we go. We know now that most restaurants close at 9. Wish we'd a known that at 8:45. But we had an awesome Fishermans Pizza right off the wharf. Great prices, Excellent service and damn good hand tossed, custom ordered pizza. We rolled out after most of the good folks in San Fran were at work and headed north across the Golden Gate, which was still engulfed in fog. I do have some great fog pics but Google won't let me get them here with the tools I have at hand. On to the Coast.
I understand that the great state of California has one hell of a coastline but for the love of God we could not get to it. We tried for most of today and failed miserably. More tomorrow. Right now I'm looking to turn on the heater here in Eureka. I'm cold.

No comments: