IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Now comes the hard part

It's National Lipstick Day, Chicken Wing Day and Lasagna day. You have to pick one.

Well, We finally found a piece of the coast we could get to. Not too shabby at all. But traffic is heavy and slow. We made it to Bodega Bay for lunch and stopped at a little open air kitchen called The Spud Point Crab Co. MJ is still ranting about Carols' Championship Clam Chowder. I like Clam Chowder too. All except the rubbery little clam bits they put in it. Between the fog, the road repairs and the traffic, plus the fact that I don't want to die of old age on the Cali coast we cut our losses and jump back across the coastal range and head north on the Redwood Highway. AKA Hwy 101. This is the left coast's answer to Hwy 1/A1A in the east. I have traveled Hwy1 from New Jersey to the end in Key West and the Overseas Hwy not withstanding, The Left coast wins. The Redwood Hwy is mind boggling. These giant coastal redwoods are on both sides of the mostly two lane blacktop. There are a zillion places to pull over for photo ops so pics are not a problem. THat part alone was almost worth the trip. My co-pilotess AKA she who must be obeyed, has plotted our next coarse correction to Eureka. Which is where the ol' bait and switch bit us firmly on the ass.
Boardwalk...Beaches...historic... yada,yada,yada,blah,blah and blah.  Yes there is a boardwalk and it is on the waterfront. And there is one restaurant but they are only kidding with the Cocktails sign out front. And I have no doubt there is a beach in that same area code. Oh well, We had very good dinner of Fish N Chips, served by a transplanted Texas lass from Chico and watched some harbor seals out in the estuary. It could have been worse. We waved bye bye to the California coast as we snuck in to Oregon. Now this is a coast line!  Coastal fog stayed off shore but I think It was just trying to show off. We started at Bookings and didn't want to leave. We did our touristy duty and visited the sea lion caves and W even spent a dollar to get a pressed penny. Yes, it WAS that good. We stayed on the coast and had an awesome lunch at a place called Luna Sea (ring any bells regular readers?) It's in the coastal burb of Yachats. I'll let you figure out how to pronounce it. I had the Slumgullion which is my kind of clam chowder. Hold the clams, add shrimp and crab. We ate outside in a heated tent because it was fucking freezing. At Newport we jumped all the way over to I-5 and on to Portland. That turned in to a chore due to a wildfire that closed down the freeway. Siri and Google Maps found us a work around and an hour later we were crossing the mighty Columbia river. Twice. Three times actually. We made a short pass across the river to Vancouver just so we could say we did then started hunting a hotel for the night.
This is where I bitch about Motel 6. My travel agent is a Holiday Inn and up sort of traveller. Myself, I tend to lean towards the cheesy and cheap. Motel 6, if you are listening, this is my second finger wagging. Fix your damned web site! You can't get wi-fi without a pre paid card. And you cant get a pre paid card from your web site. DUH! I can't remember all the crap that is rattling around in my head for two days in a row. Fix Yer Shit!
Which brings me to Laramie Wyoming. Which is where we are now. A 16 hour day and 1200 miles will get you here from Portland. From the Columbia Gorge to the Continental Divide this has been a fantastic drive. Albeit long. Having been a long haul trucker in a previous life I pulled a few tricks from my sleeve to make it a tad more bearable but 1200 miles is 1200 miles no matter how you add it up. It is 58 and blowing like stink out the window and time for me to hit to post button. If we can duplicate todays trip tomorrow I can be home for my friend Todds' Birthday. It better be a damn good party Todd.

No comments: