IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Monday, December 16, 2013

Monday, Monday.....

How 'bout those Texans!? OK I'll stop. 
Looks like there will be a special meeting tomorrow night with the EDC and the City. It's about the City's involvement with the Yachty Gras Parade coming up in March. Now before you just blow the meeting off remember this one little thing. They are holding a Special Meeting just to discuss how to best  spend a lot of money. I'd get there early, sounds like a lot of fun.

Congrats to Keith Emmons on winning First Place in the Boat Lane Parade!


That's a regular sized orange, a really big green bell and three of the biggest lemons I have ever seen in my life. Neighbor Tony stopped by over the weekend and asked if I wanted them. They were in a bag and at first I thought they were grapefruits so I was all ready to pass. He corrected me and I when I opened the bag there were. Monster lemons grown right here on out island. Who knew?

10 comments:

Bryan said...

More importantly, we will be talking about the proposed Pedestrian Bridge and options for funding it. Please come to the meeting, especially if you are in favor of having a Pedestrian Bridge in our city's future.

Anonymous said...

I for one don't see the sense in having a pedestrian bridge. I guess it will make it easier for the crooks on foot to escape. What's next, a boat taxi for a ride to the Magic Kingdom?

Bryan said...

Meeting starts at 6:00.

Anonymous said...

A pedestrian bridge is rediculous especially considering the price. Just buy everyone who lives here and anyone who moves here that needs to cross the bridge but is afraid to walk across or cant drive across a brand new golf cart. Problem solved and money saved. Before you spend the money wait untill spring or early summer and monitor the bridge with a camera for a couple of weeks and see how many pedestrians cross it. I'm sure Bryan and his family will be on the video several times a day walking back and forth which I'm sure they already do anyway even without the bridge but I would bet a months pay there would be 10 outsiders coming on the island for every one leaving the island across this money pit. I'm all for the town center but if anyone thinks once it is built and running there will be a surge of islanders parking their carts slapping on their crocks and walking to the town centre with their reusable shopping bags I believe you would be wrong. I think islanders will either take their carts or stop in their cars while they are coming and going. Before building the rainbow and unicorn bridge to nowhere ( if there is a contest to name the bridge use that as my entry),Run the numbers and use some common sense. Just curious how many pedestrians have been killed or injured crossing the bridge as is in the past 50 years Not counting muscovie ducks which should have a bounty on them anyway. I know I know the meeting is at six. Can't be there I will be in Boston.

Anonymous said...

He'll yea anon and 8 of those 9 coming on the island might be bailiff child molesters. Did y'all ever think of that? HUH, HUH

Bryan said...

To ANON headng to Boston - just for the record, as an EDC member I voted AGAINST the pedestrian bridge. I also tried to keep it out of the Town Center funding plan when I was on Council. I do not necessarily think it is a bad idea, I just don't think the EDC has any business investing dollars into it as that money could be better used to continue building the infrastructure on the south side of the bridge that will hopefully draw new businesses in, a new parking lot, for example. In my opinion, our residents will get to those businesses whether we have a pedestrian bridge or not.

The only reason I brought the bridge it up is I am just trying to get folks to come to the meeting tonight and offer their opinions in person rather than hiding behind the ANON button on a blog.

Enjoy Boston and stay warm.

Anonymous said...

Wasn't a grant paying the majority of the cost of the bridge? Perhaps I am the only one that will be disappointed if the bridge falls thru. Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Rosely said...

Brian, I have broken leg and couldn't come to meeting, so will you please post a synopsis of yachty gras and pedestrian bridge for those who did not/could not attend? I wish we had those meetings on a designated tv channel so all could be kept updated without having to go to the meetings,

Bryan said...

Basically, the EDC Board voted to look into an alternative option to build the pedestrian bridge without the federal assistance (meddling), and then present that to City Council to consider helping fund all or part of it. Getting matching grant money sounds good on paper, but there is a lot of red tape that goes along with taht which may not make it worthwhile.

We also voted to contribute funds toward the city expenses that will be incurred as part of hosting Yachty Gras, so we are, in a sense. supporting it.

Roselyn said...

Thank you so much Bryan for the update. and thanks for all the intelligent hard work you do for our City. Roselyn