IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cold Front?



That's what they say..When I see it. Get signed up for the BBQ Cook Off before you miss the deadline!!
4 Free Astro's tickets for tomorrow. Call me ASAP
Clear Lake Shores 2nd Annual BBQ Cook Off
October 5th, Paul Shelley Pavilion

Open to all Citizens of Clear Lake Shores and Lazy Bend

Entries: $10 per entry, no limit per team

Categories include:

·      Brisket
·      Ribs, Pork, Baby Back or St. Louis Cut
(boneless country style pork “ribs” are NOT allowed)
·      Chicken, No restrictions
·      Pork, other than ribs listed above
(boneless country style pork “ribs” ARE acceptable)
·      Beans, No restrictions
·      Dessert, No restrictions
·      Chef’s Choice, No restrictions    

Turn in starts at 4:30 pm.  BBQ plates will be available for sale starting at 5:00 pm.  However, the teams will be out there working hard all day so even if you are not cooking please plan to come out early, support the teams, and make a day of it.

Registration Deadline for cooking is September 30th!


Please contact Bryan bryan.e.hoerner@gmail.com for more information and registration instructions.

This from Neighbor Laura,
“ I would like to share the following with the island residents.
 My dog Lucy has come in contact with rat poison somewhere on the island and I would like to spread the word so other pet owners can be on the alert.  Last night I noticed my dogs stool was green like the color of grass.  I took my dog to Marina Bay Animal Hospital this morning and the vet confirmed the colored stool is a result of her eating rat poison.  Since we do not have any poison around our home, garage or yard I have to assume she picked it up during one of our walks.  As I have learned from our vet, symptoms of rat poison do not present themselves right away.  It can be days before you might see any signs of trouble with your pet.  So seeing a change in the color of your pets stool is an important early warning sign.  There are two types of rat poison, one is treatable if caught early the other is not treatable. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing which one my dog ingested because all of the rat poisons use similar dye colors and it’s the dye that’s causes the color change in the stool.  We will treat her for the one poison that is treatable and hope for the best.
 Please send my message to other residents.  And advise people to keep any poison products away from the bushes and grassy areas that line the streets.
 Thank you,”
 An afterthought, With the Coyotes taking out all the cats after dark, makes me wonder if this is a byproduct. I know for the first time since we’ve been here we have a rat problem. They have been eating our veggies from the garden and bird seed from the feeder. And yes I do have D-Con out. It’s working, slowly, but working. Dang Coyotes.

This from Neighbor Dave,
“I wanted to share some concerns I have about the duck population. Since we moved here 5 years ago the duck population has grown exponentially. This is due to the lack of predators and the enormous amount of food they are being given.

As someone who lives on north shore, we live with ducks all the time. The feeding of ducks in our front yard is creating quite a problem. The ducks wait for people to feed them all day. Making a feces mass and a constant traffic jam. The feces we must wash away constantly is not a healthy problem to have.

Can you publish something in your paper asking people to feed the ducks in their own yard and not my yard.

Thanks
Dave”
Can I get a hallelujah! MJ and I were making a lap last week, when up on North Shore we passed a lady shoveling out corn on the waterfront side of the grass. Did you get that? Shoveling! For the ducks. Not in her yard though….come on people!!

And while we’re bitching, I’ve been sending out reminders/requests for friends and neighbors to please join or renew their Civic Club membership. You may have seen the email. Got this last night
“I don't know how my email address got into your distribution list, AGAIN. No matter, PLEASE remove my Email address from your Distribution list Along with the club you Head up, and inform the officers of this club of my Repeated request to remove my email address from the distribution list Of this club.
Thank you
Please do not reply to this email”
Imagine that.
Volunteering is the ultimate exercise in democracy. You vote in elections once a year, but when you volunteer, you vote every day about the kind of community you want to live in.
Submitted on 26 October 2004 by Marjorie Moore, Minds Eye Information Service, Belleville, IL, USA

(O|||||O)
THe Original Search Engine
for The Whole Wide World
Jeep

18 comments:

Bryan said...

REMINDER - City Council Meeting tonight. Light agenda, but we still need residents' involvement. Please try to make it.

Bryan

Anonymous said...

Just so we can have the information around, what is the brand name of the rat poisen that works so quickly on dogs?

The ducks are getting to be a health concern. Our community is a bird sanctuary, however these are not indigenous birds. They are not protected by any law other than cruelty to animal laws and law of the few people who don't see the hazard and filth. they are a nuisance. (I meant the birds... well, maybe the new duck-people too)

Re: do not reply
I doubt anybody wants her to be involved in the Civic Club anyway. She's probably not qualified. Good riddance

Anonymous said...

We appreciate when you post the agenda for City Council.

Wondering if tonight will be the 1st mtg in some time that the city inspec. is not mentioned for not keeping up with ordianances. Doubt it. There are two lots being raised without displayed permits. A house on Pine added on to the front without a displayed permit. Perhaps these folks don't know to display the permits.

Roselyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Roselyn said...

I was told years ago that it is illegal to feed and intefere with the migration of birds. I googled and cant find anything though. Anyone know for sure?

Adelia said...

I have been feeding my hummingbirds and I am pretty sure that is legal even though I know they are migratory. Our ducks if you have noticed do not migrate - just multiply. I know there are laws where you cant leave feed out for hunting purposes but not sure on the other. I have to agree to the be kind to your neighbors. I have some ducks that hang under my house from time to time and they do create quite a mess. The neighborly thing would be to feed them at the boat ramp or somewhere else away from homes. I would prefer people keep their kitty producing cats at home too but that's just me

Adelia said...

By the way - anyone want a kitten?
There is a trio under my gazebo created by a well kept beautiful black cat. They are not being fed by me because I don't need two cats with my labs.

Anonymous said...

I have told Jack Fryday 3 times about the boat parked on the easement in the 900 block of North shore and nothing has been done yet. It was my understanding that no parking is allowed on the easements, let alone a boat/trailer full time. Yet he got on me for cutting a tallow tree without a permit.

Anonymous said...

How about instead of feeding the ducks in someone else's yard, or the boat ramp, or across from the clubhouse, or anywhere on the island for that matter, we DON'T FEED THEM AT ALL??? They're ducks, for crying out loud! They are wild animals that should be perfectly capable of feeding themselves. And feeding processed white bread to ducks, which I keep seeing people do, is simply terrible for them. This is not a natural food source in the wild that they are designed to eat and process. The reason they have multiplied exponentially is due only to the fact that everybody feeds them. You are not being kind to them by feeding them, as you are taking away their ability to survive on their own the way nature intended, and you are also creating traffic jams everywhere, not just on North Shore., not to mention the mess. This problem will continue to multiply as long as we feed them anywhere on the island.

Anonymous said...

There is a lady on pine and south shore that feeds the ducks all of the time. When you turn onto south shore from clear lake rd at feeding time they are blocking the road I have nearly hit them several times they hang around at night too and you can't see them they are going to get hit and killed how is that good for them. To all you new folks who think they are cute. Trust me the thrill will wear off in a few months and they will become a pest to you and your neighbors. STOP FEEDING THESE DUCKS they will do just fine without your help and they are not cute they are ugly crapping machines

Anonymous said...

Hey Allan,

I think you have to pay folks to take your astro tickets off your hands. From what I hear the stadium is virtually empty most every game

Craig

Anonymous said...

The Muscovy ducks are considered an invasive species under federal law. It is inappropriate to feed them except for commercial food production. You can kill the eggs to help remove them. Federal law trumps city code but I suppose you would have to fight that up thru the courts.

Anonymous said...

Sure hope there is a ghost writer for an update on CC. Those "minutes" are so helpful to those that can't make Council mtgs.


Sounds like there is a need for a Muscovy egg omelet contest.

Who is the fool that wants rat poison for dogs?

Anonymous said...

I'm that fool. : )
You don't like Muscovy, I don't like dog.
I'd say that makes us both fools in somebody's eyes.

Allen said...

Allen Cruthirds says, Regarding the person that wants to be removed from the Club email list. What a sweetheart! Can you imagine spending a day with that person. Please shoot me.

Adelia said...

OMG Traffic Jams on CLS - what is that more than one golf cart? I agree that we should probably not feed the ducks but there are those who love them and get a joy from it. I spent hours the other day watching hummingbirds come and go so I understand. I also have two dogs but understand the frustration those who have a problem with free roaming dogs. Remember this place is special for a reason and tollerance for others is probably the thing that will keep it that way.

Adelia said...

Also the sweet dog that was poisoned is one that is NEVER loose and is always walked by owner on a leash.

Anonymous said...

There is a difference between not feeding the ducks and killing the ducks. We don't have to get rid of them, but we don't have to feed them, either. How is that not being tolerant of people?? That's just doing what's best for the ducks, actually. If people really and truly cared about the ducks' well-being, then they wouldn't feed them. Simple as that.