IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Monday, July 15, 2013

Water, water, everywhere...



Lots of talk about how to get the most out of our water supply during this dry spell. We installed rain barrels two years ago. They are amazing and my trees love the rain water. We are shopping for two more. They are all over the place but the cheapest (my preference) is a place in Pasadena. Found ‘em on Craig’s List. They have different sizes and colors and the price can’t be beat. They have the fancy schmancy ones at the big box store but those don’t fit in to my budget. I will have 4 barrels filled and plumbed for what one of those cost. What we have been playing with this weekend is trapping the condensate from the A/C. We measured it three times and our best guess is we’ll get somewhere between 7 and 12 gallons per day just from it. I have a cooler collecting all that wet goodness and we have a rotation plan for our trees. I was reading where some folks are a little fuzzy on the water restrictions. Just to clarify, restricted water is metered water. Yes that means water from your kitchen. That said some folks are catching excess shower water and some folks are rerouting washing machine and dishwasher water. I poked around a bit looking for “rules” on gray water usage but the water people have them hidden very, very well. If you’re feeling lucky go here www.galvcowcid12.com
The good news is we have rain in the forecast all week so maybe all this will be taken care of by the powers that be. I’ll even go that extra mile and leave my top down.

Speaking of water, I hear that’s been the holdup on the Sandbar. Not sure how that happens but I’ll ask around. We need to get the Sandbar back. I’ll stop by Aspen and get a progress report too.

So who went to the Farmers Market this weekend? I hear the peaches left something to be desired. Hmmph. Check out the City Council agenda below. A couple of vendors, one of them involved in the recent “dustup”  are scheduled to address Council. Could be interesting.



 Enjoy your week!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it true there is a certain Councilman that is taking "overseeing" Jack Friday to extremes?

We love Angie G. more than either of those two men. Do not put her in the middle of your power plays. She deserves better than that. Respect her for her dedication to her job and this community.

Anonymous said...

For those of you that had to rebuild your homes after Ike, did you have to pay to have a new water line from your meter to the street? I always thought those lines were the responsibility of the water dept.? Perhaps Linda M. or Nancy M could clarify this point?

Anonymous said...

So there is a meeting tonight starting at 6, 6:05 and 7? If the 6:05 mtg. ends early, will Council start early? I hope not. If the agenda says it starts at 7, it needs to start at 7.

Those of us working in Houston may have trouble getting to the Council mtg. if it starts earlier than the agenda states.

I don't want to miss the two scheduled visitors: Farmer's Market and the Sandbar.

If there is one thing I like about Council Richard is he stresses transparency. Guess he will be put to the test tonight. Hope he is researching damage control.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if George Jones realizes the positive impact the Sandbar will bring to the community? I am not talking just thousands of dollars in tax revenue. It was more of a community center or hub. I hope he has also asked Kenny about the low negative impact. The only complaints came from Janet Horton.

Anonymous said...

If the Farmers Market continues perhaps those vendors can contribute to making it a park-like place by planting trees, etc. They are the only ones that walk away with profits, right?

We certainly need more parking down the road when and if the Town Center ever becomes a reality. Perhaps our grandkids will be able to shop there one day.

Speaking of parking, where are Aspen's customers parking that is included in their own property? Isn't there a requirement for so many parking spaces per building sq. ft.? The EDC can't pay to rent the lot for them and Opus forever.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like selective enforcement of ordinances once again if Aspen was not required to have a certain amount of parking spaces.

WHEN IS THIS GOING TO STOP? Perhaps a lawsuit or two will help solve that issue.

Anonymous said...

Stop the hatred just for the sake of hatred. You don't like the Farmer's Market becuase you claim they aren't paying enough tax and in spite of the fact that they provide a service you criticize them for "walking away" with profit. (I doubt they're very profitable by the way it's likely a labor of love more than anything). At the same time you are criticizing a business that is legitamately a licenced tax paying entity becuase you don't understand where the customers are going to park. They will park along Aspen, they will share the city lots that are currently designated for business parking and they will park at their homes and walk their fat rumps over there. Maybe a few golf carts will pull up alongside.
Grumpy "get off my lawn!" attitudes like yours probably won't be impacted. If you choose not to go, then don't. If someone parks illegaly the police department will address it. If there is no parking then customers will go elsewhere. If there is a need for more parking then that will mean more $$ for the city in revenues.
There is a council meeting tonight. Why don't you step up and recommend a plan for any of the commercial properties in our ETJ? I'm sure you have some ideas right? Or do you just have criticism of the people who are willing to invest time and money and effort to bring something to our community. Parking is the least of the worries we have around here.
I'd put Grumpy Farts at the top of the worries list. You and Roselyn are just looking for something to be mad at.

Roselyn said...

I am not mad about anything.

Roselyn said...

And none of the above posts are mine.

Anonymous said...

Rozzy, you don't like the Farmer's Market and you think the music is too loud.

Roselyn said...

I am not mad about any of it. The music is too loud sometimes inside my house. They have worked on that though and it is much better. My point is there should be a better place for the Farmers Market so it does not intefere with the businesses around it.

I doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what I have been saying.

I am burying my beloved pet today so please leave me the fuck alone. Thank you.

Adelia said...

1. When I rebuilt after Ike we couldn't find my water cleanout (hope I am using the right term) and we were going to have to dig under the street and create a new line. At the last minute Rob Scherer found mine and saved me. Anyway this is not the first time that has come up.
2.Roselyn your loss breaks my heart again. Too many people loosing pets recently. You were a good mom and I hope people do leave you alone.

ab said...

My condolences Roselyn.

Bill Comee IV said...

The Aspen bar will have all the parking it needs in the empty lot directly across Aspen Street. That lot is privately owned and the Aspen customers, just like the ones for Opus, will be allowed to park there.


Roselyn - very sad to hear about your pet. The whole Comee family has you in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I would not say parking is the least of our worries. Let look beyond the moment and into the future needs of the town center. If we are developing a town center, we better have parking. For the sake of this piece of paradise, let's plan then implement. Not the reverse as in having new businesses open where there is no parking. Why can't Opus and Aspen start taking over partial payment for the lot their customers will use? EDC have more funds available. What is the plan when that lot sells and a new business is built on it? The tail is wagging the dog.

suzanne hubbard said...

Bravo Bryan H. for your brilliant comment last night about the Sandbar. I could not see Janet Horton, but someone said she walked out after your spoke.

Maybe I am dreaming, but wouldn't it be wonderful if she stayed out of the way of progress in CLS.

Adelia said...

Lots of people do not like progress. I remember when I first introduced myself to a couple of ladies at the pool. They told me they hated all of us new comers and wished the island could go back to the way it used to be. I will probably feel that way one day too but hope I don't attack those that bring the inevitable change.

Suz said...

Adelia, I have to LOL about the comments from the ladies in the pool. I'm surprised that they were availing themselves of the NEW POOL brought to them by a lot of effort from NEWCOMERS. And my burning question is, when are we considered OLDTIMERS? After 5, 10, 15 years, last century.....when? And why do they think their rights more important than ours?
Suz
Roselyn, I'm sorry about your dog.