IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Breaks over.. on your head

I hope everyone had as great a Memorial Day weekend as you wanted. Mine was out of the park awesome. Spent some family time up near Georgetown and a nephew treated me to my first ever 3D TV. I've seen a 3D movie or two and I personally don't care for them. They make me car sick. And then there's the goofy glasses. 3D TV is a whole other deal. It was so far past cool it defies description. Definitely something to check out. 

My editor is shaking things up. She says the blog needs a makeover. If you know me you know there is not an artistic bone in me. It's all on her. Let me know what you think. That is if you care. If you don't I'm good with that too. At a quarter million hits, 5000 comments and 554 posts maybe it is time for something different.

We missed out on the 8th annual Drag Race. Did anyone get a take on the event from the new folks in Pete's old place? Wonder if it was on the disclaimer…

Club meeting next Thursday. Come on out, we have a lot to talk about. The partying is about to begin and we need the help. We have a picnic and a golf cart parade to plan. I'll also tell you about the PA System we bought for Movie Night. Yes we did have to get our own, there was an apparent (not to me) conflict with borrowing the Farmer's Market set up. Yeah, I know, I'm probably going to Hell for mentioning the name but right now I really could not care less. Now we have our own, we will be passing the hat at upcoming Movie Nights to offset the cost so please bring some change for the bucket. 

Wanted to give a shout out to friend and neighbor Dave for a potential job opportunity. Dave, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you brother. I wish you the best. We will have to find someone to take over Movie Night though. And speaking of Dave, He's chairing Steak and Sinatra Night on June 8th. More to come.

I'm going to post some new links on the right side of the blog. If you have a link you'd like to see on there let me know. I'm looking for a florist to replace the old one if anyone has a suggestion. 


" I hope your summer is just like a little box filled with surprises."

19 comments:

Adelia said...

Great job melinda!! I love the new format. The PA system worked great for the Drag race and puts out a lot more powerful sound so no one will have trouble hearing the movie next time. Thanks to all of you who tolerated my gushing over my new to me car tonight.The good news is you don't have to listen to me whining about car shopping any more.

Anonymous said...

So let me get this straight, the Farmer's Market has a sound system and the Civic Club had to go buy another one?
Who purchased the system for the Farmer's Market?
Where is that girl who wouldn't answer the parking lot questions that said she does "so much for this community!"? Why didn't someone ask her to use the system?
She's told us repeatedly what a good person she is. I'm sure she wouldn't deny use just because she doesn't like somebody.... right?
That would be gross and haterful and negative if I'm not mistaken.

Pot = Kettle = BLACK

Anonymous said...

I've seen some absolutely beautiful sunflowers at Jennyfer's booth at the Farmer's Market.
I've also seen some beautiful sunflower's at the "community garden" on Clear Lake Road.
Is there someone using the community garden for a commercial nursery?
IS our community simply providing these people a means of income? a free place to raise flowers for commercial gain?
This is a wonderful place to live!
Closing off the parking lot so they can keep theyre business free of those pesky tax-payers at Opus then using the city lot to raise their flowers to sell.
It looks like someone is taking advantage of the sheep

David Ruocco said...

Since Allan has decided to reinstate anon lets get the facts straight. I have been asked two times to use the PA system by David. On both occasions i picked up the system brought it to Dave, showed hime how to use it and the next day picked it up at Adelia's house to bring it back to the shed at the market. WE WERE NEVER ASKED TO USE THE PA SYSTEM FOR THE DRAG RACE. We even sent Todd an email a few weeks ago asking if he needed any help with the drag race and got no response. This is the truth no matter what Allan, David or Adelia is telling anyone.
If anyone would like to discuss this further I will only do so face to face...123 Pine.

David Ruocco said...

We are using the community garden as a commercial nursery?...Jennifer has not sold flowers for over two months? Wow.

Anonymous said...

I don't think she asked about the last time Jennifer sold flowers. I think the accusation is that Jennifer sold flowers previously that were raised on city property.

Anonymous said...

Pot = Kettle = BLACK


that's funny

David Ruocco said...

This is a great example of how things start on this blog. An accusation plucked out of thin air. Jennifer buys her flowers at two different wholesalers in Houston, if you would like to see the receipts stop on by. The only thing we have done is donated most of the plants as well as maintain it. Another example of trying to reach out and do something constructive and positive on this island only for cowards who wont even sign their names to their comments using it to bash us. you people are sick.

Anonymous said...

David, if you have this hatred for this blog, then why praytell are you so consistently a reader and a follower and a commenter?
Go away. It's as simple as that. Just go away.
Stop poking the fire you silly goose. You will burn yourselves.

It's easy to do. Just walk away.

Anonymous said...

If you want to do something constructive and positive contact your realtor

Anonymous said...

I am glad anon is on if only for a while. Don't want to be treated by Jeniffer or Dave as a "friend"
- Is the farmers market run by the city or owned by Jeniffer and Dave. Do they rent that space?
- If it is a city thing do they have a committee. If so why do they not report at council meetings. Other city entities report their income/expenses and decisions. It is called the Clear Lake Shores Farmers Market. Why are the other committee members allowing this to happen. When do they meet?

Anonymous said...

AND if it is city property why cant our other city businesses use it for parking when the market is not there. I thought that was part of the town center plan
Who is in charge of all this FM stuff

Anonymous said...

Our city administrators and leaders are going to have to step up and answer these good questions.

Why doesn't the Farmer's Market report to council?

Why are our tax dollars supporting a facility for Jennifer's Flowers?

Why are we fighting traffic every Saturday morning so this lady can "support her vendors livelihood"?
Farmer's Market is a good thing.
Picking fights with half of this community doesn't bring positive attention to the good thing and probably calls into question whether or not the city is benefitting from this investment of tax payer dollars.

They should have told Rosey to talk to Vern when she asked the simple question "Why is the lot blocked?" But instead we got 3 weeks of name calling and irrelevent cry-babying.

Why are we being run over by a couple of overbearing bullies who are taking advantage of the city?
I almost miss Kathy and Bernie.

Anonymous said...

allthatblooms.com If you go left on 2094 leaving the island they are on your left next to the scooter store. Suppose they would like to join us at the market?

Anonymous said...

Pics of the drag race please if anyone has any. I missed it this year.

fathom said...

Hey AB, The new page looks great, you need to give the editor a raise.
Would you add www.summersailstice.com to the links. If anyone wants to sign up for our local event, they can find it under the "find events" tab, and look for the Island photo. Everyone needs to sign up as they are giving away some great sailing swag...even $5,000 toward a BVI charter. Thanks - Jimmy Mann

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave and Jen Jen. Since you've spent all day waiting for another comment here...

City ordinance in clear lake shores allows four pets at any address. How many do you have?
Cats count. Not for most people but as far as the ordinance is concerned they do.

So, how many?
Ready to get rid of a couple?

Anonymous said...

Ordinances are of no importance in CLS. This is the land of do whatever you want especially if it hurts the community.

Adelia said...

Thanks Jimmy I will sign up this afternoon. What a great event. It is such a shame to see boats sitting at the dock all the time. It is really motivating me to get my paddle boat out. Riding my bike today so I can build up my legs!