IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Meeting tonight!



Friend and neighbor Larry’s mother passed away. Please keep him and his family in your prayers.

This from Neighbor Dottie:
Clear Lake Shores friends,
Thanks to all of you who either stopped by,  called or showed concern  during my recent surgery which was during spring break.  Hele was even off on a trip and called Dennis to stop by and check on me.  What a nice surprise when Dennis came by representing CLS and said  " I came by to check on you."  What a GREAT place to live!!

This from Neighbor Steve: Thanks Steve!!
Wednesday, April 3, 6:20 a.m. (Duration: 6 minutes)
Path: 11 degrees above NNW to 10 degrees above ESE
Maximum elevation: 48 degrees
Friday, April 5, 6:16 a.m. (Duration: 6 minutes)
Path: 10 degrees above WNW to 10 degrees above SSE
Maximum elevation: 41 degrees

City Council Meeting tonight!


Civic Club Meeting Thursday night
The APRIL meeting will be held this THURSDAY, April 4.  Potluck beings at 7:00

   A- K     Bring desserts
   L - R    Bring entrees
   S - Z    Bring salads or veggies

Meeting starts at 7:30.  Hear more about the APRIL 13 SPAGHETTI NIGHT, election of officers, and the meeting at the swimming pool.
PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS -  Get your kids stuff published in the JUNE ISLANDER which will be a  KIDS's ISSUE.
Look on your refrigerator door - is there an outstanding poem, drawing or essay by one of your offspring?   If yes, send it to be considered for the issue.   If not, get them to produce one for the June ISLANDER  as soon as you can.  Submit cute sayings, photos, or stories about your kids to editor@clscivicclub.com by May 1.

Candidate Night next Thursday. I’m working on a few questions.
1.   What qualifies you for the position you seek?
2.   Do you have any specific goals?
3.   Why are you running for office?
4.   What is your position on the Town Center project are you for or against it?
5.   What committees have you been on?
6.   How long have you been a member of the Clear Lake Shores Civic Club?

I have said before that I will be happy to post any bio submitted by any candidate. The only take so far is Jan Bailey who is running for Council. Not only does she have my endorsement but here is her bio.
Jan Arender Bailey
I have been a resident of Clear Lake Shores since 1996, as my husband and I purchased our first home on the island after we married.  We adored the atmosphere, slow paced lifestyle, diversity, strong sense of community, overall consensus of neighbors helping neighbors, and beautiful surroundings.  Raised in Lake Charles, Louisiana the island felt just like home.
I have two boys, Cole (10) and Carter (7) whose first home was on Elm Road.  They are students at Stewart Elementary. They enjoy riding their bikes around the island, fishing or throwing a football around with all of the young island residents who enjoy the outdoors. They both have played football for League City Cowboys for two years and I have become quite the football fan! The boys and I now live at 614 Narcissus.   
I am a 1989 graduate of Baylor University with a degree in political science. I have a Masters of Arts in Counseling from Amber University in the Dallas area. I am a Licensed Professional Counselor and hold a supervisory license. I have been practicing in the area since 1998. 
My first work experience was in the non-profit arena.  My job duties included: grant writing and statistical reporting;  providing direct counseling and advocacy services to child and adult victims of crimes; providing expert testimony in Galveston, Harris, Brazoria and Montgomery counties in both criminal and civil cases; mediation services; critical incidence stress debriefings; supervision of therapists and masters level interns from the University of Houston-Clear Lake Clinical Psychology Program; and co-authoring training curriculum for the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services (CPS) through a federally funded grant.  I have also been employed as adjunct faculty at Alvin Community College and served on the Board of the Bay Area SPCA.
In 2005, I began my own practice specializing in children’s issues.  Following much thought, last fall I decided to discontinue my practice to spend more time with my children and give more back to our community, which is the reason I decided to run for city council.  I currently contract and consult on a part time basis with a non-profit agency providing counseling services in Dickinson ISD serving child victims of crime.
I prioritize fiscal responsibility, evaluation of the issues the city faces in a factual and consistent manner, and making decisions based on what is in the best interest of our city.  I believe my skills and experience will contribute to the diversity of the city council.
I would appreciate the opportunity to serve you, the citizens, in becoming a councilwoman in Clear Lake Shores.


Spaghetti Night April 18th
I’m resisting refering to him as Magic Mike, but McNamara is the man and he is the Chef. And I was taught to never trust a skinny Chef. The Spaghetti ought to be awesome.


46 comments:

Anonymous said...

Questions for candidates:
1. Approximately how many City Council meetings have you attended in the past 3 years? How many times have you addressed Council as a recognized speaker?

2. If you had been on Council at the time, would you have voted for or against a resolution to hire a law firm to spend $80,000+ taxpayer dollars to investigate alleged credit card misuse by City personnel? Briefly explain your reasoning.

Anonymous said...

Question for the mayor wanna be. As Mayor you will be overseeing our police dept. Do you feel you have the respect and support of our current chief and officers

Anonymous said...

Good question. Also , Anthony I heard you got out of jail just in time to turn in your package is that true also how many times and for what have you been arrested. Are there any current pending charges. For Debbie, who are you and where are you hiding. Travis the blog said you wanted to take money away from the edc and the police budget so we can have free Internet. How do you plan to do that and more importantly why

Anonymous said...

Anthony, what is the longest you have been able to hold a job and what was it

Anonymous said...

Ah, the return of anonymous -- more comments -- less courtesy -- no guts -- hee, hee, including me . . .

Roselyn said...

I just stopped by Opus and tried parking in the City's lot across the street, and there is a yellow rope across the property prohibiting parking. WILL SOMEONE ON GODS GREEN EARTH PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHO AT CITY HALL MAKES THESE KINDS OF STUPID DECISIONS?????

Opus is probably the second largest sales tax contributor to our City's revenue, so why would we not allow their customers who pay the tax to park there? That property is used 4 hours per week by the farmers market which yes, is nice and another excuse for a party, but brings zero sales tax into the city.

Its just dont get it.

Anonymous said...

This community can be really vain sometimes, get over yourselves.

Anonymous said...

The farmers market pays zero in tax dollars? How can that be?

Anthony has been fired from a job and arrested? Sounds like Jackie. Thank goodness he has no chance in getting more than a dozen NS votes.

Roselyn said...

I did not say the farmers market pays no tax. I said that Opus probably falls in line after Home Depot for paying the most money to the City and should be given some consideration. We should be helping them to make money for us, not hindering them.

Someone contacted me and said that a human took a dump on the property is why the rope was put up. I can't see why a rope would stop someone from doing that if they were so inclined to do something like that in public. I think we have maintenance people on the payroll to 'maintain' property. It would make more sense to call someone on our payroll to solve the problem instead of erecting a structure that keeps people from parking there. You are assuming that only a person with a car would take a dump on the property.

I wasn't implying anyone was "stupid", just shortsighted In problem solving.

Anonymous said...

Roslyn you jumped to conclusions with no facts ... quite while you are ahead...this is the problem with this island too many assumptions no facts.

David Ruocco said...

Hey Roslyn!

I would be more than happy to discuss the farmers market with you and why we had to secure the lot, my cell phone is 832-202-5345. I think that would be more appropriate than airing your grievances on a public blog. Look forward to speaking with you.

Anonymous said...

The blog is the perfect place to aire greviences. Ros seems to be asking why it is secured not saying why it is. Thanks to the blog I now know it is roped off I didn't know that and I agree opus should have access. Just tell us all why it is blocked off David. What's the big secret just tell us the facts so we all have them

David Ruocco said...

And you are who?????

David Ruocco said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Moon-Ruocco said...

This blog is gross and shameful. Allan is not our Leader.
Most of the stuff on here is BS.
Are you a Sheep?

David Ruocco said...

Great decision turning ANON back on AB!

Anonymous said...

David, I am a tax paying citizen who would like to know why the parking lot is secured. Why do you have a problem telling us all why it is secured. You are being a tad arrogant thinking we don't have a right to know the facts. And Jennifer, your blogging on Allan's blog both of you seem to be avid readers of the blog and you use it it to advertise the farmers market yet you have the nerve to bad mouth Allan and the blog at the same time. What a hypocrite. Now can you tell us all why the lot is blocked off or is that information only top city officials like you can know. You two are the ones being jerks I just wanted to have the facts about the lot.

David Ruocco said...

Wow...there is a chain of command and the last time i checked Alan's blog was not part of it...if you want more information maybe you should address your Mayor (who has been involved in the entire ordeal). Vern was ELECTED mayor to channel the concerns of our community not a blog started by one person...another great comment by someone who can't put their own name behind their comments.

David Ruocco said...

I guess I'm not invited to the next fire pit ... Oh well.

Roselyn said...

Is it even legal to block access to publicly owned property?

Did individual citizens erect the rope or did the city? My property tax dollars and Opus liquor tax dollars paid for that property and I would like to know.

Anonymous said...

I agree the Rocco's read the blog post on the blog advertise on the blog then trash talk Allan and the blog.........you will never see me at the farmers market again and as a semi regular at opus I would also like to know why the lot is closed

Anonymous said...

I guess it David's little secret we will have to ask the girls they will be more than happy to tell us

Anonymous said...

I've never met this David guy. Kind of glad I haven't Seems like a real jerk

David Ruocco said...

Yes I am a horrible Jerk Horns grow out of my head and a tail sprouts from my ass...Really? Grow up. Vios Con Dios.

David Ruocco said...

On the flip side i can juggle and make balloon animals so i cant be all bad.

Roselyn said...

I didn't mean to offend Jennifer or David or anyone participating in the Farmers Market. I will call City Hall and ask why it's roped off.

Anonymous said...

official nominee for passive aggressive post of the year!

Anonymous said...

Stop David your making a fool of yourself. And if you and your wife hate the blog so much get off of it and stay off

Anonymous said...

I may be wrong but I thought the parking lot is privately owned. I thought the EDC rented it for Opus and FM to use. Can anyone verify these as facts? I hope we hear the reason why it was roped off. Plz tell me Rose's reason is not true. Plz. How gross. Will Town Center have public restrooms?

Jennifer Moon-Ruocco said...

Dave Chambers, stop making a fool of yourself....as always. The reason why the lot is roped off is because the city had to go in and fill all of the pot holes from overuse by Opus. Every Saturday morning there were beer bottles, beer cans, cigarette butts everywhere on the lot that we would have to clean up in order to have a clean and wholesome Farmers Market. Oh, and get this...human feces. Yes, we had to clean up crap and not from a dog. So I apologize that we are trying to provide something positive to this island that doesn't involve a cocktail and encourages being healthy.

Jennifer Moon-Ruocco said...

This is what I received from Roselyn Pierce this morning...

Roselyn Pierce
Fuck you

Roselyn said...

Jennifer and David. You two quit calling, messaging and harassing me.

I just recorded a call from David, and I quote "you are a classless piece of shit. You are old and in the way. I expected more class from an elderly lady. I will make sure everyone in the community and League City knows what a classless piece of shit you are. Like my wife said ...go fuck yourself"

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhh.....so nice to see the island hasn't lost it's touch....come on kids.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see the right people are now on ZBOA.

Anonymous said...

Jennifer you are right the blog is getting gross and shameful but it is your vulgar posts making it that way. It seems like if David or you had just answered the question about the lot last night instead of being so evasive 90% of the posts would not have occurred. If you are going to represent this city through the farmers market you need to be professional and courteous. I have been around you and David on several occasions and you both seem very immature and no this is not Dave chambers. Both of you need to own up and apologize to everyone for being so arrogant and vulgar last night and this morning. Like the one post said you are the ones being jerks and pissing us off. I agree with one of the other posts. I am done with the farmers market as long as you two are involved

DaveC. said...

Just talked to Dave Roucco and explained that I have not been on the blog for quite some time and that I sign my posts. Jennifer I would appreciate it if you would remove your post about me, I am not your enemy

Dave C.

Anonymous said...

The ruccos hate the blog yet they post read and advertise on it. They say it isn't the place to aire greviences but that is exactly what they are doing. They run the farmers market and offer to tell ros why it is roped off but David refused to tell us on the blog. Then they harrass ros with vulgar calls and messages. Isn't this the same ruccos that publicly aired their greviences over a tiff with Adelia. A few months back. Good greif clean up your posts and grow up ruccos. Better yet get the hell off of the blog if it is so bad. If I were Allan I wouldn't let you advertise your market ever again. I guess I will be the third person to vow never to go to it again

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm missing something. I just checked out Facebook and Jennifer has more than one post about how "We are getting slammed for trying to do something good in this community".
Who is slamming Jennifer?
Who is complaining about having to walk too far to socialize?

I'm not getting something here. I thought Rosy just asked a question. She didn't phrase it very well, but she never does. She just asked a very good question. Why is it roped off? The answer, Trash. The solution, Tell Opous to include a lot clean up as part of the bus staff closing process each night. Or, tell Rosy it's trash and that's why. All done.

Jennifer, you could have answered the question instead of using it as some narcisstic plea for attention for all the work you do in the community. YES - you do a lot in the community. Thank you. Still you and David are going to be judged for the people that you are. Ask yourselves if you're representing the values that you claim to support.

And, it's obviously all Allan's fault. Or, is it Zuckerburg's fault for giving you the platform to "air your grievance" publicly?

Not Dave Chambers

Anonymous said...

Nobody is slamming Jennifer or David they brought on all of this nonsense themselves with their refusal to communicate properly last night . This is far from the first Time Jennifer has thrown a teenage tantrum. She is famous for throwing pity parties for herself so I have been told. They have done a good job with the market but maybe it's time to bow out if they can't take the perceived pressure. I don t know who would run the market but if it dries up and goes away we can still buy from the same vendors online. The market is going to be history anyway once town center is started. Lets go Ronnie I can't waitcifigg

Anonymous said...

"Nobody is slamming" but "famous for throwing pit parties"

Time to turn off anonymous again -- leading only to inflame minor, everyday disagreements to community wide crud --

Anonymous said...

It couldn't have been Allan's fault. He was probably in bed before this all started. Seniors need their rest. Just messing with you Allan. We all know the avenue to free speech you provide is the reason for any problem that arises. But it is great to live in a. Place where even Jennifer who hates the blog and apparently you can aire her greivences publicly on your blog

Anonymous said...

I for one love the market but am a bit disappointed in Jennifer and David's response to Roselyn's question. I don't think this would have gotten out of control if they had just answered the question right off.

Anonymous said...

"You should". .. "they should have" ... "I like you, but I have this mean thing to say . . ." trash blogging is putting into print what you wouldn't say to someone's face -- and not signing it

Pot calling the kettle

Anonymous said...

Obama supporting democrats, what do you expect!

Anonymous said...

I suggest everyone build a treehouse and a beverage...then enjoy the view and each other from that lofty perch on the corner....just be happy and share a little love along the way....

Anonymous said...

Good God all of you need to get over yourselves. You are not nearly as important as you think you are. And the funny thing is I would never have seen this if Jennifer hadn't posted on FB. All of this drama is childish.