IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Friday, February 1, 2013

It's February and Friday

Good morning and what a beautiful day it is! If it will stay like this until April and then warm up a little ....

It's gonna be a great SuperBowl weekend. I'm mixed on this but here goes. Go Ravens?
just doesn't sound right.

Jackie C just relieved me of my wait staff for ManCakes. Seems she's hauling the boys off for a birthday party. That means I have immediate openings for quite a few volunteers. Male Only thank you very much.

No bakers out there huh? Or is it that we have no rebels. No one to willing to step out side the box and not punch down the dough... Well stand by. I'm making a fresh batch in the AM and I will not punch down the damned dough. The outcome will be posted here for better or worse.

Here's a heads up for all you cooks out there. The new knife sharpener at the Farmers market is AWESOME! I took my three down for some TLC and the difference is amazing. I forgot just what difference a truly sharpened knife can make.

It looks like we're going to be having Popeyes Red Beans and Rice after the Mardi Gras Golf Cart Parade. See you at the Club House

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading.
Lao Tzu

2 comments:

Craig said...

If you don't punch down the dough a mold and fungus will grow which rob uses when cooking his chili. At least that's what I heardo

Adelia said...

You asked for it
folding drives out some or all of the gasses that have been generated by the fermentation process and rearranges the dough so that the yeast has access to fresh nutrients. The build up of gas in the dough can act as an inhibitor on the yeast, a chemical brake on its activity, so when we get rid of the gas, we insure that the yeast can continue to develop and flourish. It’s as simple as that.

One further word on folding. The process should be as gentle as possible, so that the gluten that we have worked so hard to develop isn’t torn or destroyed. The gluten strands will form the network that traps the gases released during fermentation and rise, which is what gives the expansion that makes bread bread and not a tortilla. Be gentle with the dough.