IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Monday, January 21, 2013

Happy Birthday to my Mother-in-Law Carol!

Decided to go to the Houston Zoo today. It's not often we volunarily leave the Island but it was time. Haven't been in 10 or so years. in the 70's and 80's that was my go to place for first dates or wasted days. Sometimes both. Back in the day I was even a Zoo Friend.  It sure has changed. Lots of new construction too. It was a lot of fun. Even with all the dumbasses that were there. My right hand to God, from the time we got in the parking lot to the time we found a spot was longer than the drive from here to there. To any Zoo officials who stumble across this message, you my friends have a signage problem. I am willing to write off a lot of the things to new construction and all round growning pains but just try and find a sign that points to your parking lot. I had two other people watching fot signs and I had a good idea of where I was and where I was trying to get to. There is one and it's on Cambridge. Feel free to get back to me get back to me on that. Then there were the mismarked displays. Even my 12 year old got tired of pointing them out. While all those booboos are kinda of fun you need to send a maintenance man out tomorrow morning and rip that $#%ing sign off the pole at MacGregor and Almeda that points to Zoo. That is 35 minutes of my life I'll never get back. That's like putting a Dallas sign on 45 south. Yes, technically you can there but why the hell would you want to? It's just stupid. It won't stop us from going back though. We loved the whole African Forest section, the Giraffes were awesome and Wyatt left his face print on way too many of your fish tanks.

It was good to get back on the Island. To all of our neighbors who make that daily trek to the city and beyond, hats off to you. It's nice to remind myself every so often just how nice I have it.

Saturday is the day you need to be at Craig and Raynels for the 31st annual Chili Cook Off. See previous posts for the rules. Oh, wait, there are no rules. The weather will be, as usual, near perfect. A tad warm if anything.

Fargo     18 and partly sunny. 18 what?
Key West     75 and rainy
CLS         61 and sunny


Club News:
What a great Game Night! Dahlia and Eloy taught a bunch of us a new card game called Baseball. It was a hoot and we played it for 4 hours last night. A side note, I have been playing a computer game called Mah Jongg for 20 years. Well at Game Night we were treated to the real McCoy. It turns out that Jan, having spent time in China, is a Mah Jongg expert and schooled the Batchelor family big time. What a blast! PS the computer game isn't even close. Not sure how the domino table ended up. I just know they were full. We will definatly do that again. Any Spades players out there?
Our First meeting of 2013 will be the 7th of February. Come on out and help us plan all the fun we are going to have in 2013. And trust me when I say we are going to squeeze in all the fun we can. We will start with ManCakes on the 16th. Do you believe it's been 10 years of ManCake fun? A couple of things I want to toss out. First the Chairman of our Board of Directors is Wanda Dowell, she has asked that we solicit one more board member. If you would like to serve on the Board please contact one of the officers or Wanda directly. The term is for two years and they meet once a quarter. The pay is crap but it's kinda fun. In that vein, our longest standing committee is looking for some relief. Our Scholarship Committee is ready to pass the torch. And righty so as Cindy and Betty have been at the helm for several years now. Come on people, it's not hard and planning on party a year can hardly be considered work. Time to step up. AND I'm working on the new Chairman burgees! so if/When you chair a sponsored event you will get a truly one of a kind thank you award from a greatful Civic Club. Come on you know you want to.

Then it's on the Mardi Gras! We have a Parade to put on so get your purple, green and gold on because there will certainly be a prize in there somewhere. And that's just the beginning. We have soooo much stuff on tap for March it ain't funny. See you at the meeting?

A husband and wife are shopping in their local supermarket.
The husband picks up a case of Budweiser and puts it in their cart.

"What do you think you're doing?" asks the wife.

"They're on sale, only $10 for 24 cans" he replies.

"Put them back, we can't afford them" demands the wife, and so they carry on shopping.

A few aisles further on along the woman picks up a $20 jar of face cream and puts it in the basket.

"What do you think you're doing?" asks the husband.

"It's my face cream. It makes me look beautiful," replies the wife.

Her husband retorts: "So does 24 cans of Budweiser and it's half the price."

That's him on Aisle 5 - he never knew what hit him...

  

No comments: