IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Aaarrggghhhh!

It's Talk like a Pirate day! Matey. OK, I'm done.

Fairly good meeting last night but the scheduled (or would that be unscheduled?) entertainment was a no show. I did my best to fill in with a slight but passionate rant about the tree "experts" that are hacking up the island in the name of utility lines. Captn Chuck and Tina had a beautiful bald cypress in their front yard straight across the street on Pine. The new folks in the house never saw this coming.

And this from Davey Tree Experts? Looks more like a bunch of minimum wage flunkeys who aren't afraid of falling off a ladder with a chainsaw. I asked the city to please verify some qualifications on these knotheads. I won't hold my breath for an arborist but please for the love of God get at least a supervisor who has a clue. What few trees managed to survive Ike then a drought are tough indeed but can they survive a mob a chainsaws on a stick? Puhleese!

AmeriWaste was there. We should start seeing bills early next month. Recycling will be a tad extra but with options.

Endeavour is on her way and so am I. somewhere between 9 and 10 30 but I'll try to pin that down a bit if I'm not on the road.


"Bridging the Gap"

Come one Come All

3rd Annual Lazy Bend/Clear Lake Shores Block party

When: Friday Sept. 21th from 6-9 p.m.

Where: Birch Bridge Between Bayou and Harbor Lane

*BIRCH WILL BE CLOSED TO THROUGH TRAFFIC*

Music by JT Thomas

Keg of Beer (Donations Please)

BYOB: Beverage of your choice, chair, and your favorite appetizer to Share

*East of Bridge will need to enter via Miller

*West of Bridge will need to enter via clear lake road



Clear Lake Shores BBQ Cook Off

October 6th

Entries. $10 per entry, no limit per team

Brisket, not tagged

Ribs, Pork, back or country style

Chicken, No restrictions

Sausage, minimum 2 lbs

Beans, No restrictions

Desert, No restrictions

Chef’s Choice – First Place only

Registration Deadline is September 30st!

allanmbatchelor@gmail.com for registration instructions





7 comments:

Adelia said...

I have seen this once before and it was a memory I will keep forever. Today just added to it with more awe! All I can say is Amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Would Council Members and all at Paul's table PLEASE use a microphone at the meetings. I wish there was always one for all the speakers, too.

Richard S. asked a few times for people to have a mic. Make it a habit, my friend. I miss much of what Mr. Friday was saying.

So glad comments are back, Allan.

Anonymous said...

I spoke with a Centerpoint Boss today and said we would request they be a little less saw happy when they trim these trees. Im meeting with in the morning on the Island with Him.
PS

Anonymous said...

Paul, Perhaps you two can go for a ride around the Island? There are areas where hacked trees still have plenty of branches but they come thru the higher and lower lines defeating the purpose. Duh.

I am not surprised you got right on this. What a guy! Will your replacement jump on matters so quickly?

Glad you brought it to the attention of our Council, Allen.

Anonymous said...

Glad you brought the tree hack jobs up to Council and that Paul got right on it. I question why the homeowners would plant tall trees under the lines. Just sayin...

Anonymous said...

So who is going to watch out for the TABC on Friday? Can we take turns? You know " "Perkins or BM will try to shut the fun down. Bitter, grumpy, and mean souls who have no friends or fun.

Anonymous said...

I met with the Davey Tree Supervisor this morning along with our Tree Arborist Eric Putnam who is helping our friends with a damaged tree. The Supervisor states he will talk with his workers and try to be make sure they do a better job and do proper cuts when trimming . we will have to keep eye on them.I told him he will get my close special attention and watchful eye. nothing else to report ,have a nice weekend.
PS