IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Happy Saturday

So much stuff. If you've been a reader of this blog you know that I have all comments sent to an email account. For a lot of different reasons my inbox filled up yesterday. I will go to my grave laughing about the cartoon. If you didn't find it funny I'm OK with that. If you did, You're welcome. I will offer my second apology on this blog to my friend Bryan Hoerner for placing the cartoon a little too close to his Q&A. He caught some undue grief from, I'm at a loss for words here, readers. Sorry my brother. My page layout lacked a lot. To the sad person(s) who was/were so offended, you can kiss my fat white ass. Stay off my blog. Go to Barbs or Jeans and I wish you many orgasmic reading sessions.

So. Now a sitting Councilman has offered a motion to silence your voice. Imagine that. A city council that doesn't want to hear from the citizenry. Would you ever have imagined it? In what world? Now I have a fairly good guess as to where this is coming from and it all centers around the $. I can hear Councilman Laughter, from my keyboard, justifying this motion using the City attorney and his associated fees as the reason. It will go something like " When the City attorney is here we pay him X$. When those people talk, the meeting goes on longer so we have to pay him more to sit here." Or it will be something real close. She's trying to save us money. Trying to get back a little of what we spent on all the BS of the last 8 months. I have a better idea. If City Council would quit doing dumb shit we would most likely stop going to City Council meetings enmass to let them know we dont like them doing dumb shit thereby stretching out the meetings. We don't care if the attorney is there. Think. How many attended Council meetings PRIOR to the debacle last June? How crowded was it after June ? Coincidence? Not likely. We the people (my favorite phrase) go to the meetings when you stray from the norm. If we think you are doing good you don't hear from us. I know it's weird, but I didn't make the rule I just know how it works. Arline, from me to you, you are breakin' my heart. Folks, please for the love of God do not misunderstand me. We need to attend City Council meetings. You need to know what is going on. Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Pay attention damnit.

And the contenders are:
Allan Batchelor- picked up a packet
Amanda Booren- filed
Brian Cherneke- filed
Jackie Fuller- picked up a packet
Bryan Hoerner- filed
Carlo Ianni-filed
Charlie Russell- filed
John Nichols- filed


Soup Cook-Off News
Soup / Gumbo Cook Off Update --- NO ENTRY FEES!
The Civic Club realized that all those soup / gumbo cooks will be buying ingredients and sharing with their neighbors -- they shouldn't have to pay for the privilege. PLEASE submit your favorite concoctions, or two or three! Cook Off- Saturday, March 10.

Entry forms are in the ISLANDER (ignore the entry fees) or call Cindy Walbe 281-538-5311 or Alice Westmoreland 713-449-8582.
Brownies in baggies needed for desserts delivered by noon, Saturday. Soup tasting starts at noon - $5.00 per person
Cheers,
Pam House
Editor, The Islander
281.334.1174



This from Neighbor Tom
ALL YOU CAN EAT!! FISH FRY
Feb 24 Mar 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
5:00 - 8:00 p.m.
St. Mary Catholic Church
1612 East Walker Street
League City, Texas 77573-4196
Adults: $9.00
Children: $6.00
Take Out: $9.00
Includes: fried catfish, hush puppies, fries, cole slaw, iced tea or lemonade, and dessert
Proceeds to benefit local charities and scholarships.


A Safety Notice From our friends in the office
Gas Cylinders Recalled by Worthington Cylinders Wisconsin Due to Fire Hazard

02/27/2012 08:14 AM EST

On February 23, 2012, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commissioned
announced a voluntary recall of Worthington Cylinders Wisconsin Map Pro
Propylene and MAPP Gas Cylinders sold at various plumbing/HVAC distributors,
Home Depot, Lowes, and Ace Hardware Stores nationwide and in Canada from
October 2004 through January 2012 for about $7 to 13 for cylinders and $45
to 75 for the torch kits. The seal on the cylinders can leak after torches
or other fuel consuming equipment are disconnected from them, posing a fire
hazard



"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

21 comments:

Suzanne said...

Good luck today on the voter registration drive from 10:00 - 3:00. I hope all parents of 18 yr. olds encourage their kids to stop by and to attend Meet the Candidates' Night on April 19.

I am confused why a Councilman would want to silence the residents at a City Council Meeting. Didn't the "should versus must" debate involved Council having unlimited time to consult with the City attorney, yet, the attorney cannot hear from the residents? If Council is to have unlimited time to consult with the attorney, it doesn't make sense that the argument would be about money. Like I said, I am confused. I am sure the Councilman will clarify it this Tuesday. Something tells me the room will be packed.

Speaking of the attendance at Council meetings, I sure hope it doesn't drop off once we have new Council members. Yes, we will have a sense of security that our leaders will be making the right decisions. However, there will still be opposition and Council will need the support of the residents.

I sure hope the ruling was not to allow political ads in The Islander. Does anyone know?

Anonymous said...

Please tell me the Office of Civil Rights has been notified of Arlene's quest. The Feds would be all over this one. I sure hope the media is there, too. I hate more bad press for CLS, but she has it coming.

Anonymous said...

Arlene wants to stop us from speaking when the attorney is there because he is on the clock and she thinks it wastes money having him sit there while we speak but $75000 to investigate a management issue in the PD is no problem. Everyone needs to show up and put a stop to her nonsense. Remember though if we get out and vote and get a good strong Council on board we can change any problems this council creates. Someone posted NS was out getting the shrimpers vote. The only hope NS has is to recruit folks who have no idea what is going on. Can you imagine what they are telling these folks?

Anonymous said...

You object to fiscal responsibility but Hey guys, it just find use the old City Credit Cards hell there is more money where that came from.

Those Shrimpers, just slides off your racist tonuge so easy. Yes, they too are US Citizens and have a right to vote in this community. I know you don't want "those dam boats" junking up your Town Center.

Brian, no apology. Sexist and racists Allan says, Oh it is my mistake but appears that just fine with you. You fit right in with the group.

Allan you want to be Civic President or Alderman. There are laws and classes and repercussions for sexual harassment. I know they don't apply to you nor your political blog. We will see.

There is no fury like that of a woman.

Anonymous said...

To anon @ 9:33- It's very, very easy not to be offended by a cartoon. Don't read it. It's very, very easy not to be offended by a blog. Don't read it. It's also very, very easy not to be offended by peoples' comments about anything that challenges your ego and self-confidence on a blog. Don't read them.

Anonymous said...

"That which offends you only weakens you." I think it's great that the NS gang is so easily offended by everything. That'll certainly weaken what little they have left.

Anonymous said...

One of the lies that was told about the town center was that we were trying to get rid of the shrimp boat. Many of us love the quaint aspect of having them there. Looks like they are trying to spread that rumor again - how desperat. It is as stupid as the town center will raise your taxes or they are going to take homes on Aspen and Tindall using immenent domain. This was what was used to get the loan for town center voted down. Before you believed everything you heard - research the truth this time

Crystal Rose said...

Love the shrimping boats! Don't like untidy junk!

Anonymous said...

Hoerner, Batchelor, Ianni

For Progress. For Sanity.
For a new Clear Lake Shores.
For Goodness Sake, Vote for
the Best The Island has
to offer.

I would like to start a fund to buy Campaign Signs with something like the above on them. I will contact a sign company to find out how much they cost. Anyone know of a good one???

Anyone Wanting to contribute, email me at
sporter-cls@comcast.net.

Thanx ... SPorter

Anonymous said...

Your mistake is thinking I have a dam thing to do with any group on this Island. I just moved in to the area and now we are questioning why. I was referred to the Blog by one of you so called ladies. I now question that after you condoned the behavior on this Blog. I am not one who is going to allow a man to put me in my place or put up with sexist and racist remarks, especially by someone who wants to represent me in an Political Office. I don't know the procedures in this State yet but I do know how to deal sexist and racist slander against women. If you women are so beaten down to accept this trash then it may be time to meet a woman who isn't. We are making that decision now, for we thought we were finding a home to retire too and not a cave with some so-called man walking round with his club hanging over his shoulder still knocking women around.

Anonymous said...

Then I suggest you take Clear Lake Rd to FM 2094, turn either direction, and keep going if you hate this place so much.

Anonymous said...

ANON 11:46 AM:

It's a FREE Country ... vote with your feet and Leave ... PLEASE!!

,,, and make sure you don't trek through any Mud.

Anonymous said...

1146, I didn't like the cartoon either I didn't think it was funny at all but this is America and Allan can post it if he choose. I doubt that you even know Allan and you are judging him on one action. Those of us who do know him know he is a big hearted helpful guy that would give you the shirt or sweat off of his back if you needed help. Can you say the same for yourself? If one stupid cartoon upsets you that much then you have moved to the wrong place. You are way too uptight and angry to live in a place that is easy going and fun when we are not under seige from the few crazies that live here. If that is the worst thing you have ever read and you got that upset over it then you have a blessed life because there is much worse that could happen to you in this world. I suggest no recomend no request that you move and take your over reactive anger issues someplace else.

Anonymous said...

How many new voters registered today?

Anonymous said...

@ 9:33 No one said anything racist about the shrimpers. Where did you get that one from? You make up your crap as you go and then you believe it.No one has a compaint about the shrimpers. If you actually heard someone say a rasist slur, provide their name. You can't, can you. Their boats are maintained and are reqistered. They make their living from them. The trash boats, on the other hand, are a real issue. To accummulate trash boats without registration or insurance and no progress on their repair belongs somewhere else. The one Junkyard had sinking for over 3 years was the turning point in the residents taking action. It was visible along Aspen which is being renovated. Progress vs trash. Hmm.. which is forward-thinking?

As far as bashing Allan, you obviously do not know him. He has sat on numerous city committees and was the best Civic Club Pres. ever. He is being recruiting to run again for that position to get the club back to what it was and better.

Bryan is the strongest candidate to date. I doubt if he has to do much campaigning and he will win based on his reputation previously on Council. He earned his great reputation the hard way.

Unlike the three stooges who has the majority of people counting the days until they are out of office. The have contribute to bad press, Tina' s stress level being so high she resigned, Paul stepping down as Chief, a divided community and horrible working conditions at City Hall. Thank all of you for nothing but a mess. Name one thing that you accommplished that was for the better of CLS>

Anonymous said...

What Allan would do on HIS blog is up to him. I wish he would color different sections so it would be real clear who is contributing what. It has helped me in the past. He contributed much in the past on various committees. Never was he inappropriate. Just as Bryan H is the best possible person for Council with previous experience, so is Allan the best possible Pres. for the Civic Club. He can turn it around and increase the membership. He was never inappropriate in his role as President.

If you think you can do better run for Council or President. If not, grow up.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone with a respected reputation followed up with the shrimpers? What were they told? Can charges be filed for misrepresenting? NS needs more heat. That is the only thing I can think of to get them to get in line.

Anonymous said...

Someone who knows Rabbit could go to Tindel and be sure he knows the truth of whats going on. Rabbit hung out at Sandbar for years, so somebody knew him from there.

Anonymous said...

@ 9:33 You forgot to list the amount of OUR money that the 3 stooges wasted on the investigation to no where.And they wanted to waste more on the audit. So if Stooge Arlene is concerned about paying the Attorney too much, I think she is way too late.Think of what all the open records cost, too. I did not realize our attorney has to OK what is released. Her arguement can't be about money.

I can't wait to hear what her justification will be.

I do agree, to some point, that some people (idiots) should have a limited amount of time to speak. I think they should be thrown out if told my the mayor to be quiet and they continue to speak. Yes, Babaraaaw's husband should have been thrown out at the last mtg.

Anonymous said...

The only way to make any impact with NS is to file charges. I am not sure why Paul is waiting to sue them.

What happens to JunkYard Jackie if he does not comply within his extend time frame? We all know he won't do a damn thing. To hear he picked up an application to run again is laughable. Could he posssibly get a dozen votes?

Rob Scherer said...

I would like to thank everyone who came out for the voters registration drive. We had a very good turnout and signed up many new voters. Hats off to Pat, Lydia, Phylis, Allan, Suzanne, Charlie, Virginia, and of course my lovely wife Candy. I could not have done it without you. Thanks y'all, you did great. We have a few CLS bumper stickers left and I will be giving those to the civic club to help in their cause. I also want to thank all those that donated monies to offset the costs or this event. Most of the candidates were there. All said they had an enjoyable time and were able to speak with many of their constituents. The only thing left to say is PLEASE VOTE IN MAY.