IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Friday, March 9, 2012

Happy Rainy Friday!

But I don’t mind. Here’s some numbers. 100,595 page hits on this blog in the past 14 months. We have been averaging about 500+ hits per day. 286 posts by yours truly and 3,091 comments from you. I don’t know how that stacks up against anything else I just thought it was interesting that y’all had so much to get off your collective chests. It’s been a ride and this year is looking up.

More numbers. 10 entries in the Civic Clubs soup cook-off. I’ll be there with my $5 to get a tasting cup and spoon. Don’t miss it. Your taste buds won’t forgive you.


1, the number of neighbors looking for a roomie. From neighbor Bud, Hi All….Bud Solmonsson here,…well Greg is moving out of the house as of March 31st. So if any of you know of someone who wants to share my house with me it is available on April 1st (no it’s not an April fools joke). My house has an upstairs and downstairs with a stairway connecting each. My roommate would have the downstairs to him or herself. They would have their own bedroom, bathroom, living room, and kitchenette. We will share the washer and dryer. The downstairs is furnished and all utilities are paid. The rent is $700 a month. There is also parking for two vehicles and a boat slip which can be shared at no cost.
The bottom floor has it’s own patio and is private. I am looking for a non smoker, single person o r possibly a couple. References required. Just a note…this is NOT a duplex but rather a home that is shared with a roommate. Thanks…I can be reached at 409 789 7310 or emailed at sheldonsolm@earthlink.net.


11. The day in March that Daylight Savings begins. That’s right sunshine Tomorrow night before you go night night It’s time to change your clocks.


And then there’s this from Neighbor Mark: The Kemah Fire Department is offering to assist replacing batteries or installing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. If you need any assistance please call the fire station at 281-538-5727
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is urging consumers to replace the batteries in their smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms this weekend for Daylight Saving Time. This year, Daylight Saving Time begins on Sunday, March 11. Fresh batteries allow smoke and CO alarms to do their jobs saving lives by alerting families of a fire or a buildup of deadly carbon monoxide in their homes.
CPSC estimates there was a yearly average of 386,300 residential fires resulting in nearly 2,400 deaths between 2006 and 2008.
Two-thirds of fire deaths occur in homes where there are no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms. That is why it is important to replace batteries at least once every year and to test your alarms every month to make sure they work. CPSC recommends consumers have smoke alarms on every level of their home, outside bedrooms and inside each bedroom.
CPSC estimates there was an annual average of 183 unintentional non-fire CO poisoning deaths associated with consumer products between 2006 and 2008. CO is called the "invisible killer," because it is a colorless, odorless and poisonous gas. Because of this, people may not know they are being poisoned. Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of fuel in various products, including furnaces, portable generators, fireplaces, cars and charcoal grills.
That is why it is important to have working CO alarms in the home, on each level and outside each sleeping area.

HUGE Garage Sale at 131 Clear Lake Road (moved to next weekend!!)

Tony & Lezlie Smith’s house

Friday, March 16th

3 to 6

Saturday, March 17th

8 to 2


I was going to give a shout out to the pool committee but they still have me listed on the web site. That needs to change. Just a little pool data, We looked at a solar heating system for the pool 3 maybe 4 years ago. It was surprisingly cheap. I want to say around 14k but that was a preliminary. It came with a great warranty too. It was never brought to Council because it was overcome by Ike. The best part was that it would also work to cool the water off if it was run during the night. You pool goers know what a great idea that is.

7 is the number of friends and neighbors that are running for the three City Council seats in May. Bryan Hoerner has pulled his application as of late yesterday and while his name is still on the website I’m sure that will change when the Web Master works his magic on Friday.
This from Bryan:

A number of people have asked me why I chose to withdraw from the upcoming election. It all really starts with why I chose to run again in the first place. The last 2 years have been a disaster for this city from a City Council perspective and it is time for a change. We let our guard down in regard to the 2010 election and they earned and got a shot. However, since that time they have failed miserably. Hopefully the majority of residents share that same opinion.
Because of that, and because I so thoroughly enjoy this city, I decided to run again. I knew there were a few others that shared the same basic platform as me that had expressed interest, but I also knew it was critical to get someone on the ballot from that group that was both electable and really wanted the position. I have always said that being on council is an honor and it requires more than showing up for a few hours twice a month and acting important.
That being said, and after spending some time getting to know both Carlo and Amanda, I am confident they are two of the right folks we need to help lead our recovery. And getting some new folks involved is a very good thing. For me to stay in the race would have only divided the vote and possibly caused one of the three of us to not get elected. I will now focus my attention on getting Carlo and Amanda elected and helping them any way I can to make a difference. And I plan to throw my hat into the ring for the next seat on EDC and promote the Town Center development the best I can from that angle. Lastly, me dropping out of the council race will also reduce Diana’s stress level a bit….
To wrap this up I would like to officially support Carlo Ianni, Amanda Booren, and Richard Sowrey in the upcoming election. Please consider doing the same.
Bryan

64 days until the election. With Mr. Hoerner withdrawing from the race it makes things a lot easier for me. My three are clear and as soon as I can get a sign for my yard I will let everyone know I support Richard, Amanda and Carlo. With their help and fresh ideas maybe, just maybe we can start to move forward again. Enjoy your weekend.

2 comments:

Rob Scherer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob Scherer said...

Bryan,
Could not have said it better. You are right, our EDC is in need of your experience, I know of 2 positions that need filled, and your addition to EDC would be an asset. I also throw my full support and assistance if needed, to Amanda, Carlo, and Richard. They are what council needs to move this city forward again.