IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

On Blogs and such

I had a conversation with one of our neighbors the other day. They wanted to get a message out to the Island and knew I had a dl. I agreed and added that I would post it on the blog. I watched their eyes roll back in their sockets and wondered what was coming next. “That blog is more trouble than it’s worth” were the words that assailed on my ears. When I asked why they thought so the best I could get was something like “all that thing does is stir up trouble” Imagine that. That someone perceives information as creating problems. Is that what we think? Information is dangerous? Really? Do we hold CLSTide in the same light? The City Website? A newspaper? TV? With the exception of the first mentioned all the other sources have the ability to provide feedback. If I turn off the comments section would that make some of you happy? Would that make a difference? Do you think that would change the way some of your neighbors think? I try to keep it civil but that whole free speech thing can get a little wacky. I have been asked what I plan to do with the blog and it’s “perceived” political slant if I get elected President of the Civic Club. The Clubs charter clearly keeps it apolitical. Or is it non-political? Huge difference. While I express my opinion on our local politicians I don’t recall trying to sway anyone one way or another on any issue. I think that is apolitical. It’s a fun question. Lots of options here. I’m only sure of one thing. I’m not done here. When the fun goes away I’ll re think the blog.
Let’s jump back to my distribution list for a minute. How many of you got an email from Barbara today? I offer you my most sincere apologies. That is an old chili invitation list that somehow ended up on Barb’s computer. I asked her last year to please do not broadcast emails out in the open like that but I can see my plea for your privacy fell on deaf ears. Looks like she is practicing being an elected official. Mrs. Nichols,
I hope you get all the SPAM you deserve. You obviously have no concern for our privacy so I will wish the PC virus demons from hell on your inbox. I hope the rest of you have let Barb know you wish her well.
City Council Meeting is at 6:00 PM tonight
Get off the sofa and get to the meeting! See you there
Neighbor Mattie is looking for yard help on Saturdays. If you know of anyone send them over to see her.
This from neighbor Dottie:
I went by to visit Malcom Jones today [Sunday] and took some flowers to him. He is home as you know and is recovering. He looks good and welcomes visitors. He was SO pleased to hear YOU were keeping CLS posted on his surgery and recovery. For all who do not know where he lives he lives on Tindall in the house with ALL the art and the lighthouse.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alan,

Not your fault that Barbara Nichols used your info for a email list, She should know better. I hope I was the first one to send her a email telling her not to email me again. She is a real piece of work in my opinion.

Jeff T

Crystal Rose said...

Allan, Your blog is invaluable! Sure there are kooks out there, I've been told I'm one of them by some anonymous blogger, but hey everyone is entitled their opinion and you give them the forum to voice them.

Long may you continue to blog and when it comes to Chairing the civic club it will be a case of everyone taking a step back so stand still and you will have no problem.....You have our vote.

Craig said...

Your position on the civic club and the blog have nothing to do with each other. I can't believe you gave that nonsense any blog time at all. Are you getting soft?

Allen Cruthirds said...

Allan my friend. Go forward with your blog, and if you become president of CIvic Club just put a discalimer on the it. Problem solved.

Craig said...

THANK YOU ALENE FOR THINKING FOR YOURSELF

Craig said...

Allan, No disclaimer necessarry. This is still America. You don't have to apologize or explain your political beliefs while part of any organization.

Anonymous said...

How did the mtg. go?

Crystal Rose said...

Anon 10:40 Who are you and why were you not there? Then I am sure everyone will tell you what went on......

Bryan said...

Nice work, Crystal.

Anonymous said...

Crystal and Bryan,
I work nights otherwise, I would have been there.

Crystal Rose said...

Fair play anon but who are you?? Don't be shy, you have a right to know.....

Anonymous said...

Yay Arlene!!
I had the "pleasure" of sitting next to Babawah last night. OMG! Neva, eva again. That woman is a wack job. Accused me of recording the meeting, asking me if I thought all of this is funny. It's a freakin joke as far as I'm concerned. Can't wait until May!!
Janna Derry

Anonymous said...

The one on the other side of Barbara goes in the bug jar also. She lives on your street Janna. Even a possibility that our old poster "Travis" lives there.

Anonymous said...

So, how did the meeting go?
What happened with the Tindel mess.


Rick Flair

DaveC. said...

thanks you for doing the right thing Arlene!

Anonymous said...

By the way, before I'm attacked for not making the meeting - I couldn't make it because I had to sleep. It's seems that my @$$hole neighbor got a rooster and it is calibrated for Nova Scotia so the little feathered rat started cockle-doodle-dooooing at 5 am yesterday morning. I need sleep. I fell asleep at my desk and dropped my head on my desk by noon and then I barely made it home from work in a bleary eyed stupor. So, aside from the horrendous knot on my melon I'm tired and irritable so don't start in on me with your "where were you and why weren't you there?" crap. Just tell me what happened.

Adelia said...

The Tindel mess was given another 60 days extension . The councel voted that if it was not done in another 60 days then the mayor could pursue enforcing the ordinances. Jackie expressed no intention of cleaning it during that period and in fact argued that the ordinances should not apply and that he should be able to do what he wants with his own property that he pays taxes on. We will see what happens in 60.

Adelia said...

That is if council can remember what they said. They couldn't seem to remember that they agreed to allow the regular audit with special attention to credit cards and again asked for 12,000 for special audit. It was pointed out that this was more like 12,000-35,000 and the decision was already made for the regular audit. So no special audit will be performed.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Adelia, you're very kind.



RF

Anonymous said...

Does anyone care that there is no Rick Flair that live in Clear Lake Shores?

Crystal Rose said...

Yes I do that is why I didn't respond.....

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ.
Does anyone care that there is no anonymous that live (SIC) in Clear Lake Shores?
Does anyone care that a guy comes here to ask a simple question like "what happened at council?" and he gets nothing other than an interrogation from some newbie. Bernie is right. You people are mean.

Crystal Rose said...

There are too many trouble makers on the anon button, they can be really MEAN! Interrogation was not my intention just honesty but maybe you are not capable of that?

Anonymous said...

You would rather argue than just give a simple recap of what happened at the meeting.

The guy asked a simple question. If you don't want to answer then don't. However, you did respond... then you respond in reference with a silly message about how you didn't respond... then you respond again!

My intention is logic but maybe you are not capable of that?

Crystal Rose said...

Enough silly games, I'm not playing, have a nice day :)

Anonymous said...

And yet another response about not responding....
Good thing you quit. You're not very good at this.

Anonymous said...

Way should Junk yard Jackie get another 60 days? Will it make a difference that he will be off council by then? At least the press can say "former CLS councilman"... We KNOW he is not going to do a damn thing to clean up his junkyard. Why wait?