IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Happy Birthday

To George Washington. He can be the father of my country anytime. Ever been to his place up in Virginia? Awesome is the word.

Ready for Daylight Savings Time again? Only 18 days!

Well that was three hours of my life I’ll never get back. If you were there good for you, If not, well I’m not sure I even know what to say. It was tedious at best. It’s no longer amusing and the entertainment value is waning. After an hour + long budget meeting that almost everyone in the room understood to mean we are low on funds we had two Councilmen propose we spend more money on another investigation. I can’t make this stuff up. When asked where the money was going to come from Councilman Fuller said “ we’ll figure something out”. I swear to God. They were voted down 3 to 2. I think my favorite part was when Craig apologized to the crowd for a misunderstanding. He said “I’m sorry” to the room in general and Councilman Perkins muttered “yes you are”. Actually I take that back. My favorite part was the King Cake brought in by Diana H for all to enjoy. It was yummy.
If you haven’t heard, Council agreed to put off Councilman Fullers request to take his violation to court. He was granted 60 days to clean up his Aspen property. His premise for requesting a court challenge to the ordinance is that he feels as a taxpayer he has the right to use his property any way he wants to. I almost completely agree. Almost. It would be interesting to see that play out in court, but again, more fiscally responsible heads intervened and decided the court cost would be prohibitive.

“Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.”

16 comments:

Roselyn said...

There are still a couple of comical moments!

Last night there were at least two......one when it was discovered we have a deficit of actual vs. budgeted expenses because of the investigation to nowhere and a new salary for police chief/city administrator. Next agenda item was Jackie Fuller introduced an ordinance to spend $12,000 on a special credit card investigation. Vern or Al pointed out we don't have the money and someone in the audience said "Put it on the credit card".

The other was when Tami's mother had a tantrum because the majority does not respect her daughter. She stormed out and I said "Please take your daughter with you". A few minutes later she was lightly tapping on the front door that she thought was locked because she needed back inside to get her purse! For a moment there I was thinking she WAS coming back for her daughter.

Actually the third thing that is funny to me in a sick sort of way is that several days ago I read the packet of material that is posted online from City Hall website under "calendar". It had all the corrections and additions that Tami wanted inserted when she refused to approve minutes last month. Last night she also pulled more minutes so she can edit and add what she feels is pertinent (sort of a cover her ass type thing.) All I could think about was me being a kid and Watergate Breakin was all over the news and I was thinking "How stupid can Nixon be recording everything?"

Go online and read some of our approved minutes. They are starting to read like Tami's memoirs. She is so concerned with everything being in the minutes, I hope a council person will remember to insert what she said last night calling Craig "sorry". I hope they will insert her saying "F You" to Suzanne, and I hope they will insert what I have on tape where she said "So what" when a citizen was talking about how expensive an investigation into the police department would be. Most important I hope it will have Patrick Michaelski's speech about statute of limitations running out for Lynda to get a FELONY prosecution for the city spending more than $5000 on the witch hunt against Lynda's "illegal dwellings" (to quote Barbara) when Catherine was Mayor. Three council people were too busy thumbing through their paperwork and not listening, so I will leave it to Al and Richard to request that these items be inserted into the minutes please.

Crystal Rose said...

:-)

Love the last comment Allan! I could feel myself slipping, lol....

Craig said...

I must have slept through part of the meeting last night. I don't remember saying I was sorry or what I said to be sorry and I didn't hear Tami call me sorry. Can someone fill me in on the details? I was flustered last night because Tami and Jackie were being extra stupid and hypocritical and Tami shouted "point of order" so many times I couldn't hear much of anything else. Why did Tami keep saying I want to call a question and then never ask anything. It must be fun on her planet.

Craig said...

Although Jackie denied it at the CC meeting last night I seem to remember him being ticketed over two years ago for ordinace violations, failed to appear in cour and Paul had him arrested. Am I remembering correctly? Also I seem to remember reading Jackie has received several and I mean several extensions since October. Am I right Roselyn? If my memory is correct then this has been going on for more than two years and Jackie admitted he bought some of the junk 10 years ago and put it on the lot. Before I jump the gun and blame the obvious folks for not taking care of this years ago and are still dragging their feet, could someone explain to me "very slowly with small words" why in the hell it is still going on?

Anonymous said...

He was in my house and told me and my husband that he was arrested two or three years ago for not cleaning up his properties and blamed Paul Shelley and that he was going to "get him fired." I told him if he planned on getting elected that that should not be his platform as many people in CLS love Paul Shelley. I wonder yet if he is sorry he didn't listen to me?

Roselyn

Craig said...

OK, sso why are we still playing this game with him

Anonymous said...

Because council is still not ready to move forward with anything. It seems to have become a habit to postpone everything.

Anonymous said...

Jackie stated at the meeting that he did not agree with the oridinance. Fine. You have been on Council for almost 2 friggin' years now and you have done absolutely nothing other than sit there and look smug. Oh sorry, that would have taken some inititiave. If you are that opposed to the ordinance why haven't you led a charge to revise it? Until then grow some balls and abide by the rules that everyone else does.

In most cases it is a shame that people work their butts off on Council and only receive a gold dollar for their service. In the case of both Jackie and Tammy they will be actually be overpaid.

Anonymous said...

To Anon at 6:57 - Junk Yard and " " OWE us. Think of what they cost CLS. The list is a long one. Now think of what they have contributed. That list is a short one. Actually has nothing on it.

Anonymous said...

Being a Councilperson means more that having a social event to attend 2 Tuesday nights a month. Anyone planning to run needs to keep that in mind and really ask yourself if you think you can contribute something positive.

As much grief as some people gave Mike Bass, you have to admit that guy contributed more to this city during his tenure on Council than anyone else, hands down. We need more folks like that.

O.B. Thomas said...

Does anyone miss me yet? O.B. Thomas

Anonymous said...

Yes, I miss O.B. and George Bush!

DaveC. said...

I said put it on the credit card!

David Chambers

Anonymous said...

I miss you OB!

Todd

Crystal Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal Rose said...

Dave C it was a very funny moment! you have comic timing, lol...