IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Happy Birthday to


Utah. It was admitted to the Union in 1896 as the 45th State. And Happy Hump Day.

As we all know a fabulous job was done by the now near world famous “A Team” Cookers at the Civic Club Thanksgiving dinner. Even though they had to struggle through without a vital member of their team (Glenn) they pooled their expertise, sucked it up, tightened their apron strings and once more produced Turkey’s fit for kings. What may not be so common knowledge is how the A Team managed to produce such intricate delicacies. Some of our more curious neighbors ventured out of the Club House and sought answers under the EZ Ups out back. What they found was a relatively new cooking device. Well new to the novice cooks anyway. The A Team had been experimenting with a different cooking device known as The Big Easy. As I have mentioned before on this blog, It is an oil less fryer. Infrared as advertised. Lest I repeat myself let me just say that my old school turkey frying rig has been retired. The good folks over at Char-Broil have a winner in this product. Several of your neighbors have gone out and purchased their own infrared turkey fryer and now you know why. I know this sounds like an add but I just got this note in from Neighbor Walter and I quote “FYI, the Big Easy cooks a beef rib roast just fine.” I can also attest to Chickens and we are still working on Ribs. And there you have it. Hey Char-Broil where’s my bird dog fee?

On Friday morning I will hook up my trailer to my Jeep and park it in front of my house on the Forest side. On said trailer will be one slowly browning Douglas Fir on it’s way to the recycle place. If you would like to put your tree on my trailer be there before 11 AM when I depart. Know this, If you show up after I leave and deposit your dead tree (pronounced garbage) in my yard I will reciprocate for no less than one year.

See the Space Station Wednesday and Friday
Viewers in the JSC area will be able to see the International Space Station this week.

Wednesday, Jan. 4, 6:28 p.m. (Duration: 6 minutes)
Path: 11 degrees above NW to 11 degrees above SE
Maximum elevation: 68 degrees

Friday, Jan. 6, 6:11 p.m. (Duration: 6 minutes)
Path: 10 degrees above WNW to 10 degrees above SSE
Maximum elevation: 44 degrees

A rare sight in Houston: Space Station to transit the moon tonight

A slice of Houston will have a chance to view a rare treat this evening.

Not only will the International Space Station make an incredibly bright, six-minute track across the sky tonight, some observers will be able to see the orbital laboratory blink across the moon.

Beginning at 6:28 p.m. the station will rise above the northwest horizon in Houston, and disappear just above the southeast horizon some six minutes later. Skies are forecast to be partly cloudy.

Along this path, for some parts of Houston all the way to Galveston, the station’s track will bring it across the face of the moon.

The following map, made by Steve Clayworth of Observable Universe, shows the approximate area from which this will be visible.


The area of Houston where the ISS will transit the moon. (Steve Clayworth)

Unless you’ve got a telescope or good binoculars I believe the station will actually disappear during the half second it crosses the moon. That should be cool in and of itself. It will be visible with some basic observing equipment.

“If someone has a good HD Camcorder or digital SLR that takes vids, and can get it hooked up to a telescope, they they might be able to get an image of it,” Clayworth advises.

While looking up, be sure to wave to station commander Dan Burbank and the rest of the station’s crew.

From the Houston Chronicle

“Never pet a burning dog and never fry bacon naked” G Bussey


No comments: