IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Happy Anniversary


Can you believe it has been one whole year. I am amazed to say the least. The posts seem to have grown in content and although some content I don’t care for It’s still news. Win loose or draw. The original intent was to post goings on anywhere we could drive our buggies to and other stuff. Like I pointed out to J last week my intent is not to edit anything. But I will if I feel the need. I think it is critical for neighbors to communicate. This offers one method. And it’s nice to see it being used as intended. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know the anon is like electronic tequila. Deal with it. Out of the 265 posts and 2,472 comments I’d say we pretty much covered the stuff. All 85,246 page hits brings me full circle to the Chili Cook off at Fort Ward. It’s the 30th annual and if you think you make a fair Pot O Red now is the time to put it to the test. I’m probably wrong but the record for entries was 34 pots. For the anniversary I’d really like to re set that record. Come on out. Come hungry and bring a chair. There will be live music that plays for tips so bring an extra buck or two. The weather should be spectacular but if it rains, well look on the bright side, it’ll make some of those entries taste better.

2,4,6,8
What the hell was that I ate?
That ain't chili, who are those bums?
I need a beer and Pass the Tums!

From Chili central, You have a whopping 40+ hours or so to coax your so called ingredients in to an OSHA approved container. No gas cans like last year Oakes. No, it wasn't that clean...The weather forecast is looking good. Hi near 70 but the chance of rain is inching up. You know there is no rain date so don't ask. It will be a tad windy and it will be out of the north so bring a particle mask because that put us down wind from Robs kitchen. Damn the luck.

I personally will bring my own heat source so save me a spot by the fire extinguisher. Again

This from neighbor Pete.

I was on the City Council from 2004 to 2008 and was instrumental in pushing for the City Administrators position. You posted a good recap for the rationale; and we certainly didn't need a Public Works Director that spent most of his time smoozing Kathy; but what really pushed my button was the office staff.

We had gone from one City Secretary in 2001 to 3 Admin's in 2005. One reported to the Chief, and the other two reported to Kathy. There was no cross training, or accountability, or performance reports or attendance tracking or any clear set of accountability and measures. While Kathy did spend most of the day at the City office, she was typically closed up in her office. She did not like to come out and direct the office staff. A good case in point was the mess we discovered in the Building Inspectors files...they were stored haphazardly in boxes; some in outside storage, but not filed by address. In order to find if someone had a building permit you had to know when they applied for it and it could be mixed up in any of the various boxes.

My concern was if it was this bad when we had a full time retiree as Mayor; what would it be like if a future Mayor had a day job say downtown or at NASA and there was no one in charge during the day. Putting all the Admin's reporting to the City Administrator; cross training all three Admin's to fill in for one another, and requiring performance standards and reviews was the only way to remedy this situation.

When we proposed the City Administrator's position we got the normal push back from the "we're opposed to anything group"; but the Council prevailed and it was approved. The City Council was charged with completing a performance appraisal on the City Administrator each year and I know for a fact that we did it the first year. I am guessing that was the only one as I understand that at least two members of the current Council (you can guess which two) said they didn't feel the need to do one.

I think any discussions about having the office staff report to the Mayor (paid or unpaid) is taking us back to the dark ages. IMHO Pete Carrothers

This from neighbor Julie,

Another islander who needs (our) prayers is Malcom Jones on Tindel. He had heart surgery Monday and

is in an induced coma-to give the best rest in (I think) St. Luke's Hospital in Houston.

My prayers are with him and his girlfriend Linda who will be part of his recoup caregivers.

Please keep the Jones in your thoughts and prayers. Linda I don’t know if you have access to this blog but If I can help please let me know. ab.

This from an organization near and dear to my heart. I hope they are part of your life too.

Dear Allan Batchelor,

I am reaching out to you because you have been a supporter of Texas State Parks. As you may know, record drought and heat, devastating wildfires, and a drop in visitation have led to a critical situation for state parks.

As a result, we need $4.6 million to offset this shortfall and help keep these state parks open. Thankfully there are three simple ways to help:

First, make a tax-deductible donation online or by mail.

Second, write in a donation of $5 or more to state parks on your vehicle registration form when you register your motor vehicle by mail, at your local county tax office, or online in counties which offer online payment.

Third, and most importantly, visit a state park with your family or friends because visitor fees pay for about half of all state park operating costs.

Thank you for this opportunity to communicate with you. Please be assured that we will not abuse the privilege. I hope you will act now to help keep your state parks open for all Texans to enjoy. Because Texas State Parks won’t be the same without you.

Sincerely,

Carter Smith

Executive Director

P.S. If you would like to keep up with what is happening in our state parks, I invite you to subscribe to free email updates of your choice, including the State Parks Getaways e-newsletter and much more.

4200 Smith School Road | Austin, TX 78744 | (512) 389-4800

9 comments:

Crystal Rose said...

Can you tell me what time the Chilli cook off is please? Also do we bring it round already heated or does that get done on site? Just one more, what receptacle do you want it in ie pot, tupperware etc? Please don't say in the trash bin....................

Adelia said...

Congratulations Blog and thank you alan bachelor for keeping it going for us.
I will not be there for the chili this year but I swear that gas can was plenty clean and it added a special taste to my chili that I must say most of you were lacking. OK a couple of people got too close and breathed on the fire after eating it but they needed a shave anyway.
Missing you guys

Craig said...

Crystal,

The party starts at noon the band starts at one the judging is at three eating is at four. Bring it in a crockpot and we plug it in. See ya tomorrow

Craig

Larry said...

I'm not sure what the noise was coming from under Allan's house last night. He must have been preparing his chillee. Anyone missing a puppy.

I can't be there this weekend but have fun anyway.

Craig if you keep Rob from pouring his left over yankee style sewage in my yard I won't tell anyone you shot a 140 last time we played golf.

Rob Scherer said...

Hey Allan, there are some baby opossum's over here looking for their mother. Are they too late?

ab said...

waaaayy too late but.....possum veal yummmmmm

Crystal Rose said...

Reckon it must be some kind of road kill next year by the looks of the winner, lol.......AB never say us Brits don,t like it hot, at least 2 judges said mine was too hot and dashed for the water.

Rob Scherer said...

Hey AB, you can cook your chilli at my house next year so I can give you some pointers. I'll even let you touch the trophy from time to time. LOL. Sure was fun. The band and weather was great as well. Until next year.

DaveC. said...

Congratulations Rob couldn't go to a classier guy!!!!!

Dave C