IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Friday, October 28, 2011

TGIF

Well I guess yesterday was the last time (this year) it will be in the 90's on my drive home from work. It's been a long summer, or is it just me getting older? Be carefule this weekend with all the Halloween parties going on, we don't want any of our friends and neighbors getting run over in a zombie costume. Odds are they would just be left there.

You've probably seen this but just in case. Here's a piece of next weeks City Council agenda. Should make for an interesting meeting. I'm curious to see how they implement b. How does one person report DIRECTLY to 5? What if someone is out of town? How does the Mayor fit in ? What if two of the five, GOD FORBID, don't agree with the other three? And how in hell do three people floor an item without prior collaboration WHEN ITS AGAINST THE @#$%ING LAW?! See you there. I'm feeling nauseous....

1.      NEW BUSINESS - Discussion and possible action may be taken on the following items:

a.      Rules, procedures and official order of business for the City Council, as adopted by Ordinance 2006-16  (Mayor Johnson)
b.      Amend ordinances as necessary, so it is clear and unambiguous that the Chief of Police reports directly to the City Council and not to the City Administrator (Councilwomen Laughter and Perkins, Councilman Fuller)
c.       Adoption of a nepotism ordinance  (Councilwomen Laughter and Perkins, Councilman Fuller)
d.      Adopt a policy to allow city employees to have pay advances  (Councilwomen Laughter and Perkins, Councilman Fuller)
e.       Roles and responsibilities, ethics and harassment training for elected officials
f.        Ethics and harassment training for city employees  (Councilwomen Laughter and Perkins, Councilman Fuller)
g.      Amend ordinances as necessary so that any significant personnel actions with the police department be addressed with the City Council prior to taking place, absent a situation that necessitates immediate action prior to` the next Council meeting.  The City Council should obtain reports on a monthly basis as to personnel action that has taken place in the police department and the City, including resignations.  The City Council should review the provisions on how authority is delegated between the City Council, City Administrator and Chief of Police to insure proper checks and balances.  (Councilwomen Laughter and Perkins, Councilman Fuller
Farmer's Market News
Greetings Vendors of FMCLS!
** UPDATE**

This Saturday, the 29th we have a couple of great things happening.
-Face Painting by Regatta Bay Apartments
-Kid's Tent sponsor for the children with Halloween arts and crafts
-A doggie Costume Contest at 11am
-Mickey Hobbs on the Mic
-$5 Boo Bucks to all customers who mention our newsletter or website.

We will be printing $5 vouchers for the customers to use at all the vendors. Please come to the committee table after the market and we will reimburse you. We are trying to stimulate more customers for your booths.  We will be sending out the customer newsletter by tomorrow. PLEASE FORWARD IT TO YOUR MAIL LIST! We do alot of marketing, but we need you to post it or email it as well. It all helps.

Also - we are creating a seating area in the front of the market in our only patch or grass between Tabatha at Faith's Garden and the Electrical Post.  We have already set tables out there and they will all have umbrellas, mosquito spray and a table cover.  We want to try and create our market as a destination to stay and eat a breakfast taco or hot coffee. This means we have taken back some of those parking spaces you were used to.  The entire side by Skippers is still open and a couple can fit beside the shed, but other than that, park in the back beside Opus Restaurant.

Finally, we are instituting a vendor loyalty program.  We want to say thank you for those vendors who have stuck it out with us while we try to turn this boat around. More to come in the newsletters to follow.

As always......

We, your all volunteer committee, are well aware of how difficult this last few months have been for you and your customers. The unprecedented heat and drought were very hard on everyone. We recognize and sincerely apprciate those of you who have stuck with us.
We have renewed enthusiasm for making the Market a better, more successful Market, beginning immediately. To that end, we will be making a few changes and look forward to your feedback.
Our immediate plan is to work toward making the Market more attrractive and festive, as well as more noticeable. We will launch a more aggressive advertising campaign to differentiate us from other Markets. As time and Manpower allow, we will be making an effort to clean and spruce up the lot and buildings. The Committee will be actively recruiting new Vendors which will create more interest among the Customers. Hopefully expanding the market to include Holiday Crafts vendors during November and December will generate new interest.
You are aware that there will be some Halloween Promotions to help generate more customers on October 30. In the spirit of Halloween, beginning immediately, for the vendors, there will be no Tricks, but a couple of Treats:
A vendor loyalty program will be introduced next week rewarding those vendors who are prompt and who regularly participate.
Effective Saturday, October 22nd, Booth Rental for those paying $30 will be reduced to $20 and those paying $20 reduced to paying $15. This rate will apply through December 2011.
Any Existing Vendor who recruits a new vendor, approved by the Committee will pay no rental on the first date the new vendor sells. The new Vendor will pay no rental on the date of their first appearance. The same approval guidelines currentl in existence will apply
Now for the Treats for Customers:
By October 29, we will be implementing a free voucher program where Customers will receive one $5 voucher to spend that day with any Vendor. The plan is for the Committee to reimburse you, in cash, at the end of the Market for any vouchers you took in. This should encourage more Customers and increased spending. The voucher program will continue until further notice.
Throughout the coming weeks we will be working continually to promote Your Market and look forward to hearing your ideas. We are always open to constructive suggestions and questions about the new programs
Happy Selling!
Deb Sherwin & Karen Russell


44 comments:

Anonymous said...

could someone bring their home movie camera and a tripod to the meeting Tuesday. we need to set it up vidio the meetings from here on out we have missed filming alot of great utube moments as tami tries to figure out where she is and what is going on while karen sorts out her papers for her and vern tries without success to give her a clue. im serious we could have some good laughs over the videos

Anonymous said...

I just read the article about Deniese and I am shocked. She always wanted to be a mother and a cop but had no problem risking her baby to patrol and get in fights! Now this woman who wanted to be a mother and a cop has either lost or left her kids and husband hundreds of miles away to come and disrupt our Police Dept. As a mother I can't imagine how any good mother could loose or leave her kids. While it may not affect her abilities to be a good cop, although I can't see how it wouldn't effect all parts of her life, It does show what kind of person she is. I don't care what anybody says there is no excuse for a mother to loose or leave her kids. Denies seems to be unhappy no matter where she works, can't keep a husband and has left her kids hundreds of miles away. This Lady seems to have some serious issues and I can see why anon last night is afraid to sign their name. I am too. I hope Deniese resigns and takes her problems with her.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to Rosalyn for trying to get something done with the sinking boat in the canal. Does Jack Fryday have the support he needs to get this mess cleaned up? Anyone, including visitors to the Farmer's Market, peering down the canal would be shocked by the junkyards. It is much more noticeable since the tin fence was removed. It is unbelieveable we have tolerated this. Beyond how deplorable what should be a shining spot for the island looks, it is a blatant disregard for the community, the law and the value of other property owners.
Regarding the frustration over anonymous postings, as others have noted, the CAVERS are smart, well organized and dangerous. They target and then strategize how best to defeat the target. I don't choose to give them another target for their mischief but respect the perspectives of others who find it annoying.

Adelia said...

HI - this is Adelia. I choose to give my opinions freely and try to weigh the facts and be careful not to slander others while doing so. I disagree with the politics from Tami and will tell anyone on this island if I disagree with you to your face (mostly tactfully I hope - sometimes not so much) I am sure Kathy, Bernie, and Tami disagree with a lot I have to say as well. I am not afraid of them although I know they try to damage others lives. I still wave at them and as this island should be would help them if they were in trouble.

Adelia said...

As for our cops - I got to meet our new officers at the night out and have known Denise for as long as I have lived here. I have welcomed her in my home and would do so again. I also hope to get to know our new officers well. My greatest hope is that this current upset does not cause a gap between the force and this community - that would be as much of a shame as anything we have lost to date. I am not blind to the problems but hate to see more damage. As it has been said anyone can find something bad about someone else. Lets not allow ourselves to go to that level

Adelia said...

I travel for my work and have been away from my child many times while doing so. My husband was home and I did not feel that was abandoning my child when I did so. The article is about Denise NOT wanting to put her new child in danger by getting into fights on patrol. I am not perfect and probably neither is she but after reading the article I think 11:20 AM anon is being unfair and representing Denise as a bad wife and mother unfairly

Bettie said...

Adelia, I agree with you and always want to feel in my heart the spirit of the community that lead my family to move here 14 years ago. I have never had any problems with the police officers here in CLS and have always been treated with respect by all that I have met. I am sick about what has happened to Paul and Tina. I truly believe in karma and am not here to judge others. As I have said before - we need to stand up for the truth and not be bullied by rumours. Bettie J

Adelia said...

You know I am as upset as anyone about what has been going here and wish I could stop some of the madness. I just don't want to start a new unjustified witch hunt in the name of revenge for the first witch hunt. I am no Ghandi and I probably will misquote but I believe he said an eye for and eye only makes for a nation of blind people and I agree

SPorter said...

It was another well-respected person who said "Judge not lest ye be Judged." We need to maintain our common sense and civility in all things, including ousting the misguided individuals who got us here. Maintaining our Paradise is the best, and only revenge that is acceptable.

Suzanne said...

I did not think posting the report about Denise was appropriate along with some of the other comments here. Sirring stuff up for the sake of stirring stuff up sounds more like North Shore, in my opinion. I have been somewhat vocal during the mess since June. Recently I had to report an aggressive dog incident. I submitted a report in writing to Chief Cook. Although the report was minor (no one was hurt) he called me. I did not provide my phone number and really didn't think there was a need to talk since everything I had to say was in writting. He was very professional to me. It was not the first report about the dog. I was surprised how long we talked.
So let's try to be adults on here.

Roselyn said...

I figure Kenny, Paul and Vern will work out any problems with the police department in private and at City Hall. I am focusing on the council people we elected and how we can remedy the mess they have made. I have no kids, so motherhood does not concern me. Counting the 30 days to see if Jackie complies.

See you all Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

"another well-respected person"... Wow! This is what our Lord and Savior Jesus said,... Matthew 7: 1-2... "Stop judging, that you may not be judged. For as you judge, so will you be judged, and the measure with which you measure will be measured out to you."

He also said,... Matthew 12: 36-37... "I tell you, on the day of judgment people will render an account for every careless word they speak. By your words you will aquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

And it is also written,... Leviticus 19: 17-18... "You shall not bear hatred for your brother in your heart. Though you may have to reprove your fellow man, do not incur sin because of him. Take no revenge and cherish no grudge against your fellow countrymen. You shall love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord."

Anonymous said...

Roselyn,

I think you are right. It will be worked out and all will be fine I hope. In my book Kenny and Denise have always been great officers and are a good fit for our Island. However, I didn't thik it was a good idea for Denise and another officer to spend so much time hanging out at Bernies and Tamis over the past few months. Some folks were saying it was like they had their own private security force. No big deal to me and they can hang out where ever they choose, I'm just saying I can see why some folks would be scared to sign their names when speaking against Tami and her gang when from a PR view it was clear where the officers stood and who they were standing by literally and figuratively. At the City Council meeting the other night when I made a negative comment about Tami to my wife one of the Officers turned to me and told me I didn't have to work there so I don't understand. He might be right and he has every right to his opinion but again from a PR perspective a disgrunteled Officer in Uniform at a Council Meeting might serve the department better by refraining from negative comments to the public he is hired to serve. He has a right to his opinion as do we all but I think that was the wrong place and the wrong time to express his opinion to a citizen. I'm not easily intimidated but some are and I think some officers appearing to show strong support for one side over the other during something this controversial only stirs the pot and creates paranoia and fear of the police. Everyone in the department needs to at least appear nuetral and not show favoritism to one side over the other. I support all of our officers at this point and only time will tell how this will all play out. I'm just one dumb guy thinkin outloud here and I hope my comments are taken as they are met, as constructive critisism. Hey Bettie. If this whole speak your mind and sign your name thing doesn't work out, you will be my one call from Galveston County for bail.........Calm down folks it's just a joke.

Craig W

Anonymous said...

Wait! What? Anon 433 I can't tell if you are Tami quoteing scripture again and condemming all of us or if someone is trying to tell Tami she is going to hell. which is it

Anonymous said...

i heard Tami was quoting the bible from her high perch at city council one night. how can she do that and also lie, treat all of us like pieces of crap, tell pepole to f off and threaten to fight pepole at the meeting ? Does she really think she if fooling the guy upstairs? if so she has a big surprise comeing

Anonymous said...

I am not Tami. I cannot condemn anyone nor tell them if they are going to hell or not. But I am praying. Praying that you all find peace, forgiveness and love for one another once again, in your little slice of paradise. Praying for God's Grace and His Healing. May the Lord be with you all.

Suzanne said...

Allan, I understand your concern about the implimentation of item 1b. on the agenda. I doubt if the 3 sponsoring council people have thought that far ahead. Since the investigation showed Paul did nothing wrong, why change it? If nothing is broken - they want to break it. Think about the enormous experience Paul has as Chief. Wouldn't it make sense to have him oversee the dept.? He could provide excellent consulting and advisement, too. Like Roselyn said, leave the matters up to Paul, Vern and Kenny.

What ordinances are they changing? Do they even know? Sounds like it has the potential to run off of the tracks, totally out of control, similar to the $8,000 investigation that ended up being $80,000 plus.

That brings me to my final point. What factors increased the costs of the investigation? It started as $8,000 and then jumped to $17,000 for the firm. I can accept our attorneys' fees being close to that so roughly $34,000. Yet, total cost are more than doubled that amout. Surely open records fees could not make up the difference. I would appreciate JF, AL or TP answering that question. I guess I will wait a long time since some members do not feel that are accountable to the citizens.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU ANON 715

Adelia said...

If the police report to the Council - who do the Council report to. Isn't is supposed to be us? And if they fail to do that what can we do other than vote them out? Also thanks for the prayers ANON and reminding us of what we strive to be. I can use all the prayers I can get!!

Anonymous said...

Silly, silly Adelia. Havn't you been paying attention. I'm pretty sure Council reports to Kathy or Bernie then Kathy passes them notes at the meetings to let them know what they are to do. Where did you get th idea us citizens had any part in this.

Craig W

Anonymous said...

WHEN AND ONLY WHEN THE FIRE CHIEF TELLS US NO ONE ELSE CAN COME IN IS WHEN THERE WILL BE ENOUGH OF US AT THE CLUBHOUSE TUESDAY.

In my opinion there were not enough folks at the last meeting. I could still move my arms and breath. We need to let these arrogant fools know we are not going to let them take dictatorship like control over our City. PLEASE come out and support your Island. Vern, are the citizens going to be able to raise questions and comment on the agenda item as they are presented? I hope the answer is yes. I encourage ALL of Tamis supporters to show up and voice their opinions as well. It would be interesting to hear them explain why it would be good for the three stooges to be in charge of the PD. Somebody needs to set aside 5 or 10 chairs in case they show up.

Remember, if we all get off of our butts, participate in our City Polotics and vote correctly in, how many days Allan? We can overturn most of the damage they have or intend on causeing.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Bettie Iforgot to sign my name to anon 918

Craig W

Anonymous said...

I am with you, Craig. It seems as though there are too many people that avoid politics. If every pink could get one neighbor that tends not to get involved to attend the mtgs. I am sure the next election will be a slam dunk PINK. Where are the RESIGN signs?

Sorry Adelia, with all the people the McIntyre's have hurt in their long history, I would not lend a hand if they were down on their luck.

Anonymous said...

Matthew 6: 14-15
"If you forgive others their transgressions, your Heavenly Father will forgive you. But if you do not forgive others, neither will your Father forgive your transgressions."

Matthew 12: verse 25
But He knew what they were thinking and said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself will be laid waste, and no town or house divided against itself will stand."

Anonymous said...

Anon 10:58 am

I might forgive them someday but in he meantime we need to kep on them like ugly on an ape, stop their detruction of the Island and get them the hell out of the way.

Anonymous said...

No one knows the hour at which our Heavenly Father will call us home. My prayer,... Is that through God's Mercy, He grants you, your "someday" to offer forgiveness, before He calls you home. May the Lord's Peace be with you.

Roselyn said...

Looks like Tami is starting to post now and hiding behind biblical scripture.

Anonymous said...

I am not Tami. I come in peace and I offer you peace. I pray to the Lord our God for His Grace and His Healing for each and everyone of you. May the Lord Bless you all.

Anonymous said...

Oh good grief! - so, just sign your name already! Yep it is the 'sign your name' or shut up lady again.. Bettie

Anonymous said...

Does Jackie have 4 non-functioning boats along Aspen's waterway? It looks like 2 on his Aspen lot and 2in front of Tindel.He is now driving a Mercedes. Yet his property is a disgrace. His home is not the only one along Tindel that is horrid. How long will this be aloud to continue?


Roselyn - We you the one that said she will block the EDC from buying the property from Deb Harper for the ampitheatre? What's up with that?

Anonymous said...

Who in the hell are you 9:22? R

Anonymous said...

who the hell are you 935for that matter who the hell am I. Holy Crap now we have anons asking anons who they are. 1058 isthat one of the signs of the end times?

Crystal Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am sorry, but no, you cannot "take the bible and make it justify what you want". The Word of God is The Word of God. You cannot add to it nor take away from it. Tell me please, where in your bible does The Word of God justify adultry, lies, murder, hate or anger?

If someone does as you did, only taking single lines and not the complete verse, then there is no context. No context, then no true meaning. Same with The Book of Proverbs. The verses you quoted give the reader no context.

The Word of God is always before me. His Word is forever in my heart. I speak from my heart and it is The Word of God that I speak.

My prayers are with you. God's Peace be with you.

Anonymous said...

see Wed. 26th blog postings.

Allen Cruthirds said...

A text taken out of context is a pretext.

Anonymous said...

Hello 857. I cut and pasted a post from Wed the 26th's postings. Is this what you wanted us to see? I didn't see this post before but it has to be the weirdest posting to date. Does anybody know who posted this? does anybody know what a big ass cloud of fense is or at least what a fense is? Do we really have neighbors this ignorant living on this Island?



I hope that all or you stupid followers of that crooked man paul shelley and his shadow vern johnson open up an eye of someone of a higher athority enough that will be able to get around vern,the city attorney,paul's attorney and anyone else who is backing him and putting a big ass cloud of smoke,fense or whatever you want to call it.I cant believe that this man has once again slipped out of a situation that would either call for an indictment or a total resignation from this city.Are YA'LL BLIND!!!!He is a crooked man! Who Steals from the city,miss usses city money for personal items, erases tickets for people! When are yall going to open up ya'll eyes and see that he is not good for Clearlake Shores.Good lord ya'll are ridiculous!!!!!The power this man has over ya'll!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello 857. I cut and pasted a post from Wed the 26th's postings. Is this what you wanted us to see? I didn't see this post before but it has to be the weirdest posting to date. Does anybody know who posted this? does anybody know what a big ass cloud of fense is or at least what a fense is? Do we really have neighbors this ignorant living on this Island?



I hope that all or you stupid followers of that crooked man paul shelley and his shadow vern johnson open up an eye of someone of a higher athority enough that will be able to get around vern,the city attorney,paul's attorney and anyone else who is backing him and putting a big ass cloud of smoke,fense or whatever you want to call it.I cant believe that this man has once again slipped out of a situation that would either call for an indictment or a total resignation from this city.Are YA'LL BLIND!!!!He is a crooked man! Who Steals from the city,miss usses city money for personal items, erases tickets for people! When are yall going to open up ya'll eyes and see that he is not good for Clearlake Shores.Good lord ya'll are ridiculous!!!!!The power this man has over ya'll!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes. Agreed the strangest post ever. Who could this be? Bernie the trickster?

Anonymous said...

Look at the post closely. This person is angry that the investigation turned up nothing, frustrated that all of the searching through the credit cards turned up nothing, offered no new facts or proof of any wrondoing, made more false acusations, extreme overuse of the term ya'll, uses very poor grammer, has no writing skills and believes there is actually somthing called a big ass cloud fense.

It sounds like Tami or someone trying to sound like Tami. Who ever it is clearly supports Tami. These kind of posts are good to see because it shows the type of idiots that support North Shore

Anonymous said...

Well, my guess is that the religious nut started from the Denise posting yesterday. Tami's supporters either sit with her on council bench or the 2 or 3 that sit with her mother. The other supporters are cops who dont vote here, thank God (no pun intended). So, my guess is that Travis, Jesus freak and Cloud Fence are current or past cops pissed that they couldn't get rid of Paul so that the Tami group could give north shore the CA job, and other cops being promoted to Paul and Tina' positions...Last election Jackie brought in a group of Vietnamese to vote for him, so Pink needs to start thinking about getting their adult children, neighbor and tenants that live here registered. There is just no way we can go through this a second time, and I am sure they are already planning the next election with confidence.

Anonymous said...

you are joking - right? "a group of Vietnamese"? This blog is turning into Comedy Central!

Anonymous said...

Not joking.

Anonymous said...

You know, it isn't just CLS having so many political issues caused by so many inept or power hungry people...just look at Kemah,same thing......It would be comedy central if it didn't affect so many people we know and like. These inept or power hungry ones need to get a life!