IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Monday, October 3, 2011

Lots of stuff

Whoever helped with the setup for Jammin' Saturday gets kudos. I have heard from a lot of folks that the sound level was PERFECT! You could hear the music and a conversation. About damn time huh Roselyn :-) 
Dont' forget the waterboard will start cramping your drive style tomorrow morning. Be careful and hang up the damn phone.

Get your calendar out 'cause there's lot of dates to note. Starting tomorrow.
Oct. 4 - National Night Out

            Our good neighbor TARGET will provide the hot dogs and be on hand to help.  CIVIC CLUB will provide the soft drinks.
            Parade starts at 6:00 Lazy Lane and Birch.  Pack the family in your golf cart and follow along, or get on your scooter, bike or roller
            skates and join us anywhere along the route for a fun time.  Get acquainted with our police force during the evening.
            Parade moves at  6:15 to South Shore & Narcissus
            6:30 Forest and West Shore
            6:45 Pine and Ivy
            7:00 Queen and Juniper
            7:15 to 8:00 Sundial Park
            If you haven't paid your Civic Club dues this will be a good time - get a V INTAGE CIVIC CLUB cookbook with your new or renewal
            membership.  Still $20.00 per family
Oct. 6   CIVIC CLUB pot luck and meeting at the club house.
            7:00 to 7:30 potluck - A-K  bring Desserts;  L-R Entrees; S-Z veggies and salads
            7:30 meeting - usually over by 8:00
Oct. 15 Spaghetti dinner at the club house - 6 - 8 pm.  $7.00 adults, $5.00 kids
            to volunteer to help contact:  dr_roberson@yahoo.com
Nov. 5  The REALLY big event of the year - the annual Thanksgiving Dinner at the club house.  Volunteers needed.  See page 16
            of the ISLANDER to  find where you best can help.   Get to know your neighbors while peeling potatoes or pulling turkeys!
            LOTS of desserts needed for the sales table
            to volunteer:  epsokoloff@gmail.com or vicepresident@clscivicclub.com




October Activities at the
Farmers’ Market at Clear Lake Shores
                                                           
For Immediate Release
Date: October 2, 2011
Contact: Carol Trono

Clear Lake Shores – Throughout October, the Farmers’ Market at Clear Lake Shores will celebrate fall and Halloween with seasonal foods, produce and homemade wares and special activities for children.

Children visiting the Market on October 8 will enjoy decorating cupcakes with Halloween frostings and sprinkles, courtesy of Clear Lake Shores’ resident Cheryl Thomas.

Also on the 8th, the Market will continue its mission of supporting local charities with Market Spa Day. Imagio Salon and Spa of League City will sponsor the Kids Activity Tent and give free haircuts to anyone wishing to donate to Locks of Love (www.locksoflove.com).

Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children suffering from long-term medical hair loss. It meets a unique need for children by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics.
 Those interested in donating should visit the Market’s website at http://www.farmersmarketatcls.com for guidelines. Email roy@imagiosalonandspa.com to arrange for the donation.
 During the Market’s Halloween party on October 29th, Regatta Bay Apartments will offer free face painting for children when it sponsors the kids’ activity tent.
 Live music in October will be provided by Ben Reyna on the 8th, Michael Orta on the 15th, Pamela Saxon on the 22nd, and Mickey Hobbs on the 29th. 
 Vendors will be taking orders for the holidays. For more information visit the Market’s website at www.farmersmarketatcls.com.  
 The Farmers’ Market is run by a volunteer steering committee of Clear Lake Shores residents. With small town charm and high standards for vendors and products, the market is a Texas Certified Farmers’ Market.
 Located at 1020 Marina Bay Drive (FM 2094), the Market is ½ mile west of Hwy. 146 under the white canopies. For more information visit http://facebook.com/farmersmarketatclearlakeshores, http://www.farmersmarketatcls.com, or contact Market Manager Charlie Hester at charlie@charliehester.com.

From neighbor Bud. Sorry to hear it Bud. I hope this helps.

Hi Allan…hey since my house burned in Galveston I have a new job…..just like IKE…General Contractor.  I have a family of five out on the streets and I have to get this home put back together so unfortunately for me I am forfeiting my trip to Cabo.  I am wanting to sell my week at my resort at a great discount and my plane ticket.  Can you please post this on the Island Blog?  Thanks..
 Bud

Fire Sale
(Literally)

Hi all Island friends.  Well when it rains it pours.  I seem to be getting a lot of bumps in the road lately.
 Yesterday while I was at work one of my investment rentals down in Galveston caught fire and gutted the whole upstairs.  It was a big fire. Everyone got out ok except they lost their dog….which is very sad.  These folks have lived there for two years, and now that this happened there are so many friends and family coming out of the woodwork to help them that it is really heart felt.  So they are going to be ok with a family of five.  They want to move back once I rehab the place which I am putting on the fast track.  They are a family of five.

Now me on the other hand, have a new job:  General Contractor…..just like IKE.  During IKE I gutted and rehabbed my place and the three apts that I had in Galveston and this place.  So I am experienced.  I have insurance thank goodness.  So once again I am a lucky man.  I feel so bad for this family.  They are doing well though. Well to the point of this letter:

I was going to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico from October 29th to November 5th for my annual vacation at a wonderful resort called Villa Del Arco (look it up).  I have the resort paid for and my ticket paid for and two round trip tran sportation vouchers from the airport ($75).
 I cannot go now.  I have to help this family get back into their home.  I am willing to sell my airfare ticket, and one week at my one bedroom, two bath, living room , kitchen, and wonderful balcony time share resort for a screaming deal.  If you look on Orbitz or Expedia you with find that at the Villa Del Arco that a studio rents for about $150 a night for two and a one bedroom rents for about $259 a night for two.  For my one bedroom it is about $2500 for one week with taxes etc.  I pay $400 dollars for the week in just maintenance fees.  I am also thinking of selling my time share if anyone is interested (4 weeks a year or 8 weeks if you downgrade to a studio).
< /p>
I am willing to sell my week for $995 to anyone on the Island that is interested and will throw in my airport transportation.  My ticket costs around $650 (hard to believe I know) but I will sell it for $500.  All I have to do is switch names on everything.
 If you are interested please email me or call me because if you haven’t been to Cabo you are missing out.  A great, SAFE, place to visit and play.  First come, first serve.
 If I don’t sell it I will bank it.  Thanks for taking the time to read this.
 Bus Solmonsson
409 789 7310

2 comments:

Roselyn said...

Thanks again to whoever made the considerate decision to turn the volume down Saturday night. Whatever the volume was...is perfect. The legal max of 85 decimals is the same as the dial tone on your telephone, so imagine listening to a dial tone for 3 hrs. on Saturday night inside your house. Its like the Chinese water drip on the forehead method of torture. I just cant thank you enough, and so do my other neighbors who are too shy to write.

Suzanne said...

NNO was a great success. It was wonderful to mingle among so many neighbors and our police dept. Thank you to Target for your efforts. The kids sure enjoyed the beach balls. Only two, that I know of, ended up in the water.

Thanks to all.