IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Who knew?


In 1982 Emoticons were born when Carnegie Mellon University professor Scott E. Fahlman proposed using a colon followed by a hyphen and a parenthesis   :–)  to depict a horizontal smiley face

Lots of noise on noise from the park. Roselyn and I had this conversation and I think my answer may have cost me her vote. And Roselyn, I did lose by one. I absolutely understand Rosleyn’s position. All my life I’ve had great hearing, been a light sleeper and had a general disdain for loud music. Certain Clapton tunes exempted. I call on the talented Senor Beans to please help me and us understand why it has to be so damned loud? It was a great time Saturday courtesy of the Hord’s but did it really have to be that loud? I was blessed with a “large” voice. When I raise my voice it can be heard over most other noises but When I have to yell to have a conversation with someone inches away I’m afraid for them. I watch for popping vessels in the eyes and blood coming from their ears. When Ben played for the Bresemans I could hear fine and while I don’t remember some of the end of the benefit I don’t remember the music being so loud. Benny, help us out my brother. We need to find some middle ground here and quick.

City Council Meeting tonight! Drag yer butt down there and help keep an eye on things.

Three in a row!!!
Party Time
On the
Island!!!
When:       Sunday, September 25th from 2pm until 6 pm
Who:                Anyone on the Island who wants to come
What:       Bring a dish if you want….there will be finger food here plus
Beer and Wine and some hard stuff!
Where:     Bud Solmonsson’s house at 622 Narcissus Rd……..ride your
Buggy if you can as there is limited parking.
Why:                Because Bud has a guest visiting and feels that it’s about
time for some late Summer fun.  Plus it’s his turn!
Tribes- Finale
Let me talk about political parties, labor unions, professional associations a bit – because that is important here too.  These entities need an enduring common interest to survive.  The early US labor unions tried to include all labor: they folded.  Craft unions had a common interest – one craft.  They still exist.  Same with our political parties – one believes government is the answer; one believes private enterprise is; and they are some fringe players.  The Tea Party will be a modern test case. The Democrats and Republicans are both wrong in their extreme view but their common interest holds them together and they compromise – except for the last couple of years which is causing the 12% ratings.  The Sundowners have a common body of interest – parties.  Romeos – classier place to live.  Caves – low taxes, keep it like it has always been.  I worry about the Pink Party – not because it has a common interest –“throw the bums out” – but because it is not enduring.  It is like the Tea Party – one issue, not enduring, and not organized. It may only last one election.  The Pink Party may only keep interest until the bums are thrown out. Then what?  Plus I don’t see the support pouring out for it.  It also may have slight flavor of a break off of the Caves with a violated expectation motivation – not sure there.  But I am leery.  I want enduring parties organized for the long haul around enduring common interests. Take for instance, partying. That is an enduring common interest in CLS.  Just like keeping taxes down is a common interest.  So, let’s organize by tribes.  They have been here for years.  But, only the Caves have recognized that point and used it to their own benefit.  If you don’t like Cave policies and the North Shore gang leading the Caves, organize into a counter force that is as strong AND enduring.  Right now the strength is there.  I want the enduring part.
If Allan lets me keep talking, maybe I will say some more about how to handle control freaks and maybe even a little about different choosing representatives– I will start with one rule now.  NEVER elect anyone who lives on Shore drive!  West, north, or east.  Too many Caves, litigation happy people, and weird Romeos.  I think I will look for my representatives from the center of the island. Maybe we should also talk about how to handle the power behind the throne.  Maybe we should go back further in CLS history and examine how these fights were handled in the past.  Maybe I should just shut up.
She was a very good-looking woman, and determined to keep the ranch, but
knew very little about ranching, so she decided to place an ad in the
newspaper for a ranch hand

Two men applied for the job. One was gay and the other a drunk.

She thought long and hard about it, and when no one else applied she decided
to hire the gay guy, figuring it would be safer to have him around the house
than the drunk.
 He proved to be a hard worker who put in long hours every day and knew a lot
about ranching. For weeks, the two of them worked, and the ranch was doing
very well. Then one day, the rancher's widow said to the hired hand, "You
have done a really good job, and the ranch looks great. You should go into
town and kick up your heels."
 The hired hand readily agreed and went into town one Saturday night.
 One o'clock came, however, and he didn't return. Two o'clock, and no hired
hand. He returned around two-thirty, and upon entering the room, he found
the rancher's widow sitting by the fireplace with a glass of wine, waiting
for him. She quietly called him over to her.
 "Unbutton my blouse and take it off," she said. Trembling, he did as she
directed.
 "Now take off my boots." He did as she asked, ever so slowly.
 "Now take off my socks." He removed each gently and placed them neatly by
her boots.
 "Now take off my skirt." He slowly unbuttoned it, constantly watching her
eyes in the fire light.
 "Now take off my bra." Again, with trembling hands, he did as he was told
and dropped it to the floor.
 "Now," she said, "take off my panties." By the light of the fire, he slowly
pulled them down and off.
 Then she looked at him and said, "If you ever wear my clothes into town
again, you're fired."

2 comments:

Roselyn said...

Thank you Allan for helping, and yes, you probably would have won two years ago by at least 8 votes if you had been sympathetic to our little group of folks annoyed by the loud noise.

You have my vote now and I have a big respect for you. The service you have supplied with this blog for us all to communicate about whats up at City Hall, and the love you have shown for this community and decent folks like the Shelleys' is priceless.

Regarding tribes: Twenty years ago I was a Sundowner and my husband was a Cave person. Four years ago I was a DIVA and my husband was a ROMEO. Four months ago my husband and I were both Silent People and we are now morphing into something else, not quite sure what, maybe just a new tribe called Concerned Citizens.

If you live here long enough you will look back and see that you have belonged to all the tribes as you progress through life, so the bottom line for council people is to try to understand and represent all tribes.

Several gasps in the audience last night when Vern announced a $17,000bill from San Antonio attorney for investigation. No reaction from Ms. Tami.

I thought we were in danger of the majority of the EDC board resigning at one point in time but luckily Vern's common sense explanation prevailed and the day was saved.

Anonymous said...

Well Roselyn,
Seriously women,if you dislike the "loud music" at Jarboe Park, why don't you and 'Joe" aka sugar daddy, go find a motel somewhere.
It's not like yall don't have the money!!