IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Six years ago


Today. Hurricane Katrina. That’s all I’m going to say about that.
If you didn’t pick up your Islander you don’t know that the Civic Club meeting WILL NOT BE HELD TONIGHT. It has been put off until next Thursday. But to make up for it it will be held at the pool, no pool tags required. And Ice cream!

Tribes-Installment 3:
In my time at CLS, I have seen war between the Cave people and the Romeos almost continuously – I call it the 20 year war, much like the 100 year war with periods of active battle and times of peace.   The only time I have seen relative peace – that means when the dysfunction did not spill out of the old city hall building – was with a balanced city council and a city administrator.  The key is to make sure the Romeos or the Cave people never are in control of Council and therefore the administrator.  A council with 2 Cave People and 2 Romeos with a swing vote from the Sundowners and a Sundowner mayor has been best.  Then you have some Council members for low taxes and more trees/parks and some who want new businesses and better roads. But you have to have a neutral swing vote to stop the craziness.  It has helped, in my opinion, to have a city administrator not controlled by Council as a buffer – much like the slow US government bureaucracy.  Trouble arises when the swing vote is a minority tribe who can be sucked into one of the power tribes or when one tribe predominates. I think Council must always be 2-2-1 from the power tribes.  Wouldn’t it be cool if we could find 5 calm, non-radical people for Council?  Well, won’t happen – those people are riding carts, partying, boating, etc.  Maybe they even have jobs! Sometimes, I just wish the Sundowners could take over – they seem less radical and their need for control focuses on things other than power.  But, in the end, I wouldn’t like some of the things the Sundowners would do– like build a huge band stand or BBQ at Sundial.  Who knows what it would be, but I might not like it.  I just know I don’t want to be in political office and probably none of you would want me anyway.
 
FIVE RULES TO REMEMBER IN LIFE:
1. Money cannot buy happiness but its more comfortable to cry in a Mercedes than on a bicycle. 
2. Forgive your enemy but remember their name. 
3. Help someone when they are in trouble and they will l remember you when they're in trouble again. 
4. Many people are alive only because it’s illegal to shoot them. 
5. Alcohol does not solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk.

10 comments:

Roselyn said...

Those 5 rules are so funny I had to print them out!

I also just saw a T Shirt that said: "The most important position in a democracy is citizen".

Adelia said...

I just got back for the grand opening of Rudi's BBQ. I am in hog heaven!!! It is the best BBQ in the world. Brisket, Sausage, Pulled Pork - even smoked baked potato. If you try their sauce you will never buy any other. The regular is spicy and the sissy sauce is just damn good.

David C said...

All hail Rudi's

craig said...

Where is Rudis

Tom Johnson said...

Rudi's is in front ofAcademy.

craig said...

lunch tomorrow

Anonymous said...

Where's the Dern Rain, Alan? Maybe we can line up the NO Pumps to send the H2O to our lawns.

Anonymous said...

DERN RAIN GOING TO NOLA. RATS! WISH THERE WAS A BAND THIS WEEKEND AT JAMMIN. NOW THAT WE HAVE NO RAIN TOMORROW NIGHT :-(

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good excuse to plan a party anyway!! We could all get together at Jarboe just for the hell of it! We could all bring munchies and booze!

Anonymous said...

That's what I love about CLS!!!