IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Friday, September 2, 2011

The last long weekend of the summer...

Drove down to Santa Fe this AM to attend a funeral. At least the weather was nice. Almost cool. That's when you know Summer is winding down, when 90 feels good. If you're trvelling be safe, if not have fun. We have 282 days to go untill the next city election. There will be three council seats on the block. Fuller, Perkins and Sowrey. I have put my Save Our City sign up until then. Watch for it come April lest we forget. To the commenters of the week, All that you moved here for is still here. Well, except for a lot of trees. The attitudes are here, the good neighbors are here and don't forget some of the best sunsets on the planet. All those "things" are you and me. Someone had a great idea yesterday and I'm going to take my happy ass to the pavilion tonight right aftr sunset. If no one brings music you'll have to listen to me sing and that's not pretty. Happy Friday Y'all!

Just a few reminders...

What: BBQ, Beer, Ice Cream, Silent Auction, Live music and more!
When: Sunday September 11th from 4 PM till…….
Where: Jarboe Park Pavilion
Why? “Breseman, Party of 4” It’s a benefit! We’re going to get together and help some neighbors over a tough spot. It happens to most everyone at some time or another. It just happens to be their turn. Come on out and let us serve you dinner and drinks , visit with your friends and neighbors and know it’s all for a good cause. See you there!
An extra special event at our Farmers Market------
A One Touch Gold Weber grill will be raffled off that day to support the Breseman “Party for 4” Community BBQ Benefit being held September 11 to help a local family. All proceeds will be donated to the fundraiser, and supporters need not be present to win.

PS: If you’d like to donate something please let me know ASAP. Thanks.
allanmbatchelor@gmail.com


Raffle for a First Responder. Way Cool stuff for the winner(s) and all for a very worth cause.

From neighbor Rick: Hey Allen,
Can you please help me get the word out for a raffle to benefit a long time friend of ours?
His name is James Romine (known the boy since high school) & he is a Sgt for the Harris Co Sheriff's dept.  A couple of months back, he was diagnosed with Superior& nbsp;Canal Dehiscense, an inner ear disorder that requires brain surgery to correct.  As a double whammy, the Drs also found an aneurysm during the pre-op testing.  On Aug 1st, he underwent a procedure using a catheter to have the it coiled & it was discovered that he had a double aneurysm so the coil procedure did not work.  He went in this past Tuesday for brain surgery to fix both problems.  He is doing well & should make a full recovery. It sounds like they may even let him go home tomorrow.

Unfortunately, insurance is only going to cover 80% of the costs, so he is going to be stuck with some pretty hefty bills on a public servant salary.  A raffle has been put together to help offset some of the expenses.  The prize is a Stag AR-15 assault rifle or there is an alternate prize of a $1000 Visa gift card for those that do not want the rifle or cannot pass the required background check.  Tickets are $10 each or 3 for $20.  The drawing date is Oct 14, 2011.  If anyone is interested, they can contact me at 832-439-3319 (please leave a voicemail if no answer, I may be flying) or Sam at 832-567-1677.  My email is jetflyer73@gmail.com & Sam's issewitsam@gmail.com .
 Thanks for the help & please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or need any more info!
 Talk to you soon!
 Rick & Sam Fisher
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/bay_area/

See the Space Station Saturday
Viewers in the JSC area will be able to see the International Space Station this week.
Saturday, Sept. 3, 8:34 p.m. (Duration: four minutes)
Path: 11 degrees above NNW to 28 degrees above E
Maximum elevation: 45 degrees
Tribes: 4

So, I do have an important call to the citizens of CLS – always balance the tribes of CLS on City Council.  Yes, pay attention to the person running.  Try to determine if they are a control freak or crazy.  You will be wrong half of the time; maybe, most of the time.  Control freaks can be the sweetest of people when they need something from you – like your vote.  And, they have a lot of energy.  Remember, control freaks have been hounded off the island; it didn’t change much – we are still in the 20 year war.   The only difference is the pendulum swung; the war goes on.

Always pay attention to the tribe you are voting into office and who represents what tribe of those remaining on council when you vote.  Remember, that we always need a 2-2-1 split on Council.  If we CLS citizens weren’t weird or controlling or otherwise dysfunctional, we wouldn’t live in CLS.  We would be in South Shore Harbour.  And our politicians are the extreme of us.  They are the liqueur of the citizenry, so to speak.  Balancing the crazies is the most important task we have as citizens of CLS – much more so than trying to get rid of the crazies - which can’t be done with elected representatives from a population of crazies.  Remember, running the bums out only swings the pendulum and the war continues.  Balance!
What's the definition of a will? (It's a dead giveaway).
                      

30 comments:

craig said...

Did anybody see where I put my glasses?

Roselyn said...

Council's Tuesday agenda just got posted to the CLS website this morning. Couldn't help but notice that Karen worked Saturday and today Sunday (holiday weekend.) Thanks Karen for all your hard work.

There is an item on the agenda about home based businesses, so Craig you are right that you are in the crosshairs now. In this terrible economy where a lot of people have lost jobs and created a new job for themselves from home, does it make sense that a council would even question a home based business in this economic climate? Well, I guess if you dont have and dont want a job then you might not have compassion for folks who still have to work.

Is it weird to anybody other than me that the City calendar on the CLS website has an agenda item Tuesday night to discuss enforcing no home based businesses and then on the calendar for Sunday is a benefit to help a citizen who has operated a home based business for over 20 years?

There are also quite a few budget items on the agenda. Wouldn't it be interesting if Tami asks for a raise for policemen now that she was successful in taking down Paul and Tina? Wasn't it last year she was totally against raises for police department across the board?

This is just the craziest, stupidest thing I have ever witnessed.

Anonymous said...

The wave of the future is home-based work. Naturally our council would be against anything progressive. They want to live in the past and want CLS to be antiquated.

Anonymous said...

What the HELL is this on the CC agenda for Tues.

Appointment of Bernie McIntyre to Emergency Services Board as representative for Clear Lake Shores (City Administrator Shelley)

What? Will it be another avenue for him to embessle funds like he did on WC#12?

Anonymous said...

The only CLS business I have an issue with has to do with the workout / excercise group along East Shore. Their darn music is way too loud for the neighbors.

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't be an issue anymore, they haven't been there in a month. Did you even bother to tell them that before you called the city? Might have been a more neighborly thing to do don't you think?

Roselyn said...

Ha! Try living next to Jammin on Jarboe on Saturday nights! I attended last month and had a great time but had to scream at the people sitting next to me to be heard. Old people (me) and babies dont like loud noise.

craig said...

To be fair, this home based business topic is not the result of anyone on Council. This problem has surfaced because of petty, spiteful neighbors who love to dream up problems, cause turmoil and drama and they seem not to let facts or truth get in their way. This time it is because Jean Garst, Pam House her boyfriend Steve Bowden and Dava Mc Millan all friends and or supporters of Tami and Bernie and are all bug jar worthy in my opinion, have complained non stop for months about my cart and trailer being in my driveway even though it has been there for years. This has more to do with their personal dreamed up BS than with my stuff but that is another story. Jack Fryday has now sent me a letter stating I must close my business. He also demanded I drain my pool earlier this year citeing an ordinance that did not exist and from what I have learned Jacks letter isn’t worth the ink on the paper but it has forced Paul to put this issue on the agenda to avoid selective enforcement of the confuseing ordinance. It seems the rules regarding home businesses are a rat’s nest of confusion and council will have to pass it along to the planning and zoning committee for their review. From what I hear if they choose to take this on it could take for ever to sort out and will require a lot of time and effort on our P&Z’s part and on our future council’s part. Another mess created by the bug jar gang that will do nothing more than waste these folks time when they could be working on important issues or just enjoying life. Be sure to thank Pam, Steve, Jean and Dava when you see them if you have had it with all of these hard working folks with businesses based out of their homes. That was sarcasm by the way. If you are one of the seventy plus home based business’s on the Island you need to get involved and pay attention. While this will most likely go nowhere it is just more BS from the bug jar gang. Pam and Steve have always run a business out of their home, why are they complaining you may be thinking. Rules are for others to follow, not for those in the bug jar gang. Didn’t you know that? They have made that perfectly clear over the past few months if not years. Don’t let your guard down folks. You never know what they will do next and it may affect you directly.

Anonymous said...

Craig,
Does this include all trailors or only yours? Does this mean no ads can be on any trailors or just yours? What about trucks with ads on them? I sure have see plenty of those. I sure don't get it, especially coming from Pam. What are they thinking? What will be next?

Anonymous said...

Craig is a good guy!These bug jar people are just plain mean../well maybe crazy is a better term.. Bettie J

Roselyn said...

Betty, last week I saw Craig standing in his yard and I stopped to say hello. Dava next door came out on her upstairs porch and starting screaming (literally) "Craig's a bully, he's a stalker." I waived at her and asked her if she remembered me (I had her house listed when she bought it and met her at closing). Then her tone changed and it went to a normal voice and she hollered "I dont vote, I dont care about politics, I dont even vote!"..........I was very bizarre. Craig ignored it all.

Anonymous said...

Roselyn, Dava sounds bi-polar - poor Craig and family having to live next to that nutty behavior. Sounds like she "broke the noise ordinance". Happy Labor Day All! Bettie J

Anonymous said...

On what grounds is Friday saying you must close your business down? That is ridiculous! Does that mean there can no longer be an air conditioning co. here let alone the 2 dozen plus businesses here? I don't get the logic, especially coming from Pam.Sad. Spiteful. Pathetic.

Anonymous said...

Craig, how about the guy on the other side of Dava with an 18 wheeler cab parked in drive way. I doubt he drives that to Target to get groceries. Do they pick on him also or is it just you?

Anonymous said...

Craig, what sreet do you live on?

craig said...

Anon 519 This is all more of a personal attack on me at this point and they are using my business as a tool to get at me which will not work out for them in the end but what will this gang go after next? Who knows. That is why we need to keep them in the bug jar with the lid on tight and make sure they are never in power again.

Roselyn 811. Dava has blamed me for everything that has occurred to her since The day she moved in five or more years ago. Her biggest problem right now is she blames me for her house being red tagged while under construction because Jack approved her plan that was clearly in violation of our building codes. She also believes it is my fault she did not get a varience because of these violations. The committie voted her down 6 to 0 because she had no valid reason for a varience. Period. The problem was caused by Jack approving a plan that was not in compliance. Now she thinks it is my fault she cannot finish out her house in violation of the ordinances even though I have no power at all either way.

Betty 835. This type of behavior goes on all of the time. Parents who brought their kids to swim lessons and other visitors to our home over the years have witnessed all kinds of crazy things from my neighbors to the South. We have learned to live with it and sort of look at it as entertainment. Like a circus sideshow.

Anon 857. I have no idea what grounds Jack thinks he has to write such a letter. In my opinion and research he has no clue what he is doing. When I asked him the same question he told me I could talk until I was blue in the face but he would not answer my questions. I would need to take it to court. I still don't know why he thought he could tell me to drain my pool within 12 hours for not having a fence when an above ground pool does not need a fence. That letter was sent the day after I spoke up at Davas varience meeting and pointed out the whole mess was Jacks fault. Now Jack sent me this recent letter after Dava made a phone call to Chief Cook complaining about my "business". Put those pieces together and see what you get. What I get is Jack abuseing his power as a city employee to exact revenge for himself and his buddies. Just my opinion.

Anon 1038. The folks with the semi are Charlie and Tina. They are friends of Dava and good friends with the McEntyers. They are immune from any problems from the bug jar gang as are Steve and Pam. Even though I do not agree with Tina and Charlie politically, I have known them a long time and consider them good friends and good pepole.

I have resisted from aireing my personal problems on this blog because they are my problems not yours but these are the reasons I have been so outspoken the past few months. I am literally surrounded by the bug jar gang and have had to put up with their nonsense for years.

I have always had a live and let live attitude and don't complain about anything my neighbors do but The bug jar gangs attitude seems to be live but live by our rules. That is not what made CLS what it is or was before the bug jar gang got in power.

Keep involved folks. We need to stop them before they ruin what many have enjoyed for decades.

Anonymous said...

anan 12:00

700 block Narcissus. The same block as one of our famous Councilman

Anonymous said...

Craig lives within about 500 ft. of Tami, her mother, Garst, Dava and Pam.

Anonymous said...

Craig, Sounds like Narcissus need a jar of its own. Yikes. I had no idea it was so bad there.

Anonymous said...

DANG! How does that whole home based business with or without signs ordinance work for all the Realtors on the island?

Anonymous said...

I am sure everything will work out just fine for home based businesses as long as everyone keeps involved. Fortuneately our Council has no power over this issue at this time. It will go to P&Z who will review it and act accordingly. The P&Z board are level headed folks and I am confident they will do the right thing and will do what the majority of our citizens want and not just act on behalf of the bug jar gang.

Craig

Anonymous said...

i have only been here about two years and don't know alot of the history of this bug jar gang but it seems like a small group of citizens have caused a great deal of problems and trouble. i will be careful when i vote to try and keep the island friendly peaceful place it should be. can't wait for the fundraiser. do the bug jar gang ever come out and help with things like that

Roselyn said...

Craig, I assure you that Jack is not on anybody's "side". You may be mad and not like his style, but he is only loyal to the one who signs his paycheck. He was Mayor of Seabrook, degreed, founder of the Seabrook Rotary Club, a group based on fairness and honestly, he was a homebuilder, I could go on and on....He is a friend, and he is harder on me and Joe than probably anybody else on the island. Last year when we built a house he shut us down several times, would call and scream at me once a week. He cited us, we applied for a variance and lost, even though he was also at fault for missing the error. He explained that whenever a "concerned citizen" calls and complains then he HAS to investigate and cite....that is his job. He hasn't singled you out, but someone else has, so call him and complain about them........My gut tells me the bug jar group is trying to run off Jack and Karen now, so dont play into their game.

Anonymous said...

Roselyn,

Ck your e-mail and call me. We know two different Jacks

Craig

Roselyn said...

Ok Craig, I will call. I just dont want this blog to focus on the building department when it needs to stay focused on the police department and city council.
XX

Anonymous said...

I agree

Adelia said...

Kathy has donated items for the fundraiser and I am grateful to her and anyone else who has contributed their time, donations, or services to help this family. The people on this island disagree politically but in hard times or when people are in need we are at our best. The best you can do is stay involved. See you at council tonight everyone.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear what Tami, Jackie, Kathy, Bernie, Jean, Ted and Peggy havwe donated!

Anonymous said...

Here we have a fund raiser coming up with the spirit of helping
neighbors and people still continue to blame and accuse, blame and accuse neighbors, board members etc.
& putting out information that, in many cases, is not even based on fact. Thank you Craig for at least pointing out home business issue can't be blamed on the board.There is nothing wrong with in an intelligent discussion on differing
views on issues but these personal attacks are like immature high school kids. At this age, when we know better, we should do better. NO, I am not "for" or "against" any one group.

Anonymous said...

Anon at 12:31 "putting out information that is not even based on fact" that sounds like what one group did last year regarding Town Center. Anon, can you give one example of information put out recently that is not based on fact or are you just assuming in your own mind it isn't factual. I anxiously await your example.