IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Monday, September 19, 2011

Happy Monday


I don’t mean it. I do appreciate the rain though. It refilled both my rain barrels. I’m a tad stunned, pleasantly so, by a hi today of NOT IN THE 90’s. Whew! I even put my top up for the first time since May.
We were sitting out at chicken’ licken’ yesterday after the game. Enjoying the breeze at H&H Pier. To paraphrase Ty “I seen some pretty crazy shit out here” The Iron Maiden comes to mind, Mike Zutecks’ Canadian flying machine back in 85. The Chinese junk, and the odd wayward dolphin. Sunday about 3:30 I saw a man throwing a cast net. He’d make a toss reel in his net then paddle a bit and toss again. When he got closer we asked how he was doing. He said he had managed a few shrimp but that was all. He was paddling with one short paddle, what appeared to be a landscape/Coi pond. Or a small hot tub. We are still undecided. When I find someone smart enough to get the photos off my phone I’ll show you. I love this place. Craig-bob, Pile of mud is my other term of endearment for our slice of paradise.
 
From neighbor Pege… I hear from a reliable source that on Monday, 09/26, every Chili's restaurant in the country will donate 100 percent of its profits for the day to St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital.  To quote my source:
 
September is designated Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.  And on this day Chili’s restaurants around the country will wrap up a month long fundraising effort by donating 100% of their profits for the day to St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital.  At St. Jude’s, no child is ever turned away because of a family’s inability to pay.  So please help support all of the invaluable services that they provide to these children and their families as they struggle not only through cancer and its treatment, but other serious illnesses as well.  The easy part is up to you.  Just show up and enjoy some good times with specially priced beer, wine, margaritas, and appetizers.  Chili’s makes the donations.  It is a very easy way to help out a wonderful cause.

PS from AB: I verified this through Manager Dave at our Chili’s. See you at Chili’s Monday!
 
Tribes- the saga-
We all know change happens.  Trees fall down and the canopy disappears.  Old houses get lost to hurricanes.  Water runs out.  Big stores get built and give us lots of money to spend.  People get old, die or move away.  And change is mostly slow, so we ignore it.  When it happens, you have three choices: grin and bear it, pretend it isn’t happening, or do something about it.  Well, I think that tipping point is about here.  Grin and bear it will prevail for 8 months or so while the tribes organize.  I hope change may be coming – hard. Because we did not balance CLS Council and took power away from the mayor, we are facing a tough task – living with a one-tribe dominated council which seems to think it can get away with some real dysfunctional and costly behavior. We used to have mayors doing that.  But, with the back and forth, people are learning.  Learn about Tribes.  Maybe the dominant tribe has been winning too long and is in a state of denial. Maybe they couldn’t believe their luck in sucking in a couple of low power tribesmen to their coalition.  But, they made a mistake and roused all the other tribes.  Now organize and fight the long fight.
If you didn’t know my biases by now, I will say that for the years I have been here, I think Chief Shelley has been a fair and balancing influence.  He has always been controlling and he may be getting too old and grouchy to handle young, eager cops, I don’t know.  I have always considered him the premier politician on the island – I don’t know what went wrong.  We lost our “social services officer.”  That bothers me a lot; did not need to happen.  And Council may have spent unneeded budget dollars.  I resent that and I particularly resent Council upsetting the city at the start of hurricane season.  But I suppose summer is good because lots of people have more time to fight.  Imagine Craig during the slow months. And I am sorry he takes the retaliation.  Craig, hold on.  The Tribes are organizing.  I hope.  I really resent Council members who are pawns of others.  I am personally ready to help run the bums out for this.  But I will work to end up with a balanced council so that the important things in CLS are garbage pickup, golf carts, peaceful walking, and parties for the Sundowners.   If we let another power faction sweep in due to this, we’ll just be screaming about throwing those bums out in another couple years because they swung the pendulum all the way the other way.
Still no investigation update.
ATTORNEY: Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?
WITNESS: No.
ATTORNEY: Did you check for blood pressure?
WITNESS: No.
ATTORNEY: Did you check for breathing?
WITNESS: No.
ATTORNEY: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy?
WITNESS: No.
ATTORNEY: How can you be so sure, Doctor?
WITNESS: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.
ATTORNEY: But could the patient have still been alive, nevertheless?
WITNESS: Yes, it is possible that he could have been alive and practicing law.
 

2 comments:

Crystal Rose said...

We had a great time Saturday night! I confirm the conversation I tried to have with Roselyn was impossible as she could not hear me and I could not hear her, it definately does not need to be that loud to have fun: note I have no vested interest here as live away from Jarboe Park and cannot vote.
Thanks to Tom & Mindy Hord for a really great night!

Suzanne said...

Remember when we were told we would have the investigation results in Aug.? Well, tomorrow is the last CC in Sept. Will someone address it? If it is not completed, when will it conclude and the results be available? The final cost of it needs to be public information.
I am hoping many residents will make the time to attend to CC Tuesday evening.