IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Monday, August 8, 2011

Happy Birthday to..



M M M Mel Tillis. One of my all time favs.

Kudos to Dennis for lining up the Jeff Strahan Band for Jammin’ on Jarboe! Good job guys, That was fun. Hot. But fun. It was nice to see Tina and Paul Shelley and everyone else who was prepared to brave the hot August evening for some good R & B.

Sam and or Rick are going to try and send progress pictures as Eric works his magic on the trees in their front yard. As soon as I get them They will head the blog just like the artwork before them. Nothing yet but stay tuned.

Speaking of trees, Once upon a time, and it has been many years ago, Someone proposed the idea of a tree inventory. I’m not sure what the end game was about but maybe reducing some of the non native species? I can’t remember who it was maybe Kim Duclair? Vaness? Councilman Laughter, any news/progress on your platform of re treeing the island? If ever we needed shade its right now. Ike and the following drought cost us dearly and me personally 7 trees. Let me know if there is anything I can do and I’m sure there are plenty of other interested parties.

Got this from Lezlie….I sent it out to the DL also.
Hi Allan - I'm sure you've heard the tragic story about this family, the parents died and two of the children were hurt..............anyway there is going to be a big benefit for them in this area on September 25th........... - some of the people that went to school with the dad are putting it on with the help of a lot of sponsors........
They are asking for a  30 gallon aquarium or bigger - they need one for the raffle tickets.........could you post on blog about the benefit as well as the need for the aquarium to be donated, they can contact me Lezlie Smith for any information or the below..........832-221-1233.  Thank you!!!

Sunday, September 25 • 12:00pm - 5:00pm
Location   
Perry Family YMCA
1700 League City Parkway West
League City, TX
Created By 
Joshua and Robin Berry Children’s Trust
More Info  
Hey CLEAR LAKE, FRIENDSWOOD, LEAGUE CITY & PEARLAND!

PIGGY BANK BASH 4 THE BERRY KIDS is in the works - You, your family and friends will not want to miss it!
The YMCA has generously offered the location for a day of FUN, Food, Friends and Family.
Come empty your piggy banks, pockets and purses into the HUGE piggy bank!
Food and Drinks donated by FREEBIRDS!
LOTS OF FUN, EXCITING SURPRISES PLANNED… Jumpy Houses, Face Painting, Raffle, Bake Sale, Music and So Much More…
*Ticket purchase required for some activities.
100% of Proceeds Go Directly to Joshua and Robin Berry Children's Trust.
Questions about The Piggy Bank Bash? Interested in being a sponsor or event volunteer?
Contact The Piggy Bank Bash Committee via the event website: www.piggybankbash.weebly.com For more information, please contact angie_bailey@live.com.

One of my recent hats was as Chairman of the Pool Committee. The pool was new and we started off with a set of standard pool rules and then slowly customized them to fit our “unique” atmosphere. We met at the pool and invited moms and kids alike for input and we ended up basically with the rules that are posted on the board. If you haven’t heard the story it goes something like this. I stressed to the lifeguards not to take any crap from the kids or the parents. That was not in their job description. Any confrontation at all just call the Chief and let him handle it. Well the very first confrontation was yours truly. It was over having an open beverage in the pool. I pointed out it was not one of our rules and reminded the lifeguard not to put up with any BS. I even offered my cell phone. Come to find out it is a State Law. Who knew? One afternoon I went up to the pool to check in with the lifeguards and make sure all was well and I get an earful from the lifeguards. We have an irate customer. Following is the complaint.
From: Batchelor, Allan <allan.batchelor@lmco.com>
Subject: RE: CLS pool rules
To: "Tami Perkins" <tamiperkins@comcast.net>
Cc: "ELAINE ZAKARIAN" <elainezakarian@yahoo.com>, "Hoerner, Bryan" <Bryan.Hoerner@cdicorp.com>
Date: Friday, July 17, 2009, 11:09 AM
As the chairman of the pool committee I will gladly present your suggestion at the next pool meeting. I have cc’d the other members of the committee and our City Council liaison. The committee meets on the second Tuesday of each month at 6:30 at the pool and is open to everyone.
 From: Tami Perkins [mailto:tamiperkins@comcast.net]
Sent: Friday, July 17, 2009 10:45 AM
To: Batchelor, Allan
Subject: RE: CLS pool rules
 The pool rules need to be revamped.  There should be a swimming test for children to swim aged 10 and older – not an age stipulation to be accompanied by a parent for kids 10 and older. 
 Please tell the pool committee to revisit these rules.  During the daytime hours when a lifeguard is present a child should not have to be accompanied by their parent if they can pass a swimming testand are 10 and older.  For stay at home kids during the Summer it is a hardship not to mention ridiculous for me to have to accompany Wade when he wants to go swimming with a friend.  Please!  A child who has completed 4th or 5th grade should not require a parent be present if they can swim.  What is the purpose of having a lifeguard?  To guard what?
  If I have to accompany him at this point I would just as soon take him to Seabrook where they have a slide, diving boards, concession stand, etc. 
Even there I have dropped him off to swim with friends and the consent of lifeguarding staff and I am not a negligent parent.    ;)
 I tried to get a refund on the pool membership as I think the rules suck - but was denied.  How appropriate. 
 Anyway, if the pool is to be a financial success and at the same time serve our community to the delight and enjoyment of the members – common sense changes should be made to address these issues.    
On a similar but slightly different note - my Mother witnessed a birthday party today (I think it was for Madison McCormick) where at least 2 children with present in hand were turned away from the pool because their parents were not with them or they were not members.  Rowed up on the side were more parents than kids at the pool.  That is not only ridiculous – but mean spirited.  The staff look for ways to turn people away.  If a child with a family membership has a birthday party at the pool is it really necessary to turn away their invited guests with gift in hand?  That is really shitty if you ask me.  I guess that goes back to character and there may not be rules to address that.  Would it have killed the lifeguard to let those children in?  Really!
 If you could pass this along to whomever handles this I would appreciate it. 
 Thanks for your attention.
Imagine that………………..

9 comments:

Suzanne said...

Allan,
Let me thank you for the hard work you and many other did in regards to the CLS pool. I think it has been the best improvement to CLS since I moved here.

I was one of many that felt great relief when the age of 10 was raised to 12 for a child attending without a parent. Perhaps Tami's letter influenced that important change. I admire the parents that bring their 12+ yr. olds, too. I am rather fussy that way, knowing the mischief kids tend to find without supervision.

I see she had her knack for the language and special writing skills back then, too. Unbelievable that she orally cusses at residents while seated in the CC chair or leaving the mtgs. but I noticed she also cusses in writing.

A gift in hand must be of great value to Tami since she mentions it twice. Perhaps a guest pass in hand would have been the ticket into the pool for a party.

I bet the pool committee had a great laugh at the reference of the staff looking for ways to turn people away. Yes, I thought that was their job if they are not members or do not have a guest pass.

Thanks for posting Tami's letter. It reveals so much about her.

Thank you, too, for all the work it took to get the pool up and running with common sense rules.

jwilson said...

Newbie here, moved onto the island about 3 weeks ago and it has been fantastic. Everyone I have met so far has been terrific. I am looking forward to meeting all of my new neighbors; just give me a couple of chances to get your names right.

From a fresh, outside perspective it appears we have elected representatives to city council that are not representing the views of their constituents. That is the bottom line. Perhaps in another city, the citizens would disapprove of the chief, his management style in handling subordinates, and the promotion of his wife to Captain. If that were the case, the actions of City Council are justified.

I have not been on the island long, but it is obvious to me the people of CLS support the chief and the job he has done which includes his management style and his promotion of his wife to Captain.

City Council has gone against the will of the people they represent, and that just cannot be defended. I have not read or heard anything that causes me to believe the Chief should have been the target of anything. I can understand looking into complaints, but once it has become apparent the community did not want all of this, City Council should have backed off.

Anyway, that is just my uninformed $0.02 worth.

BTW – Alan, we met 2 weekends ago on the pier watching fireworks w/my family. Thanks for the hospitable welcome to the island.

Cheers
John Wilson

Craig said...

Welcome John. Please know there is a small angry, mean, vengeful group of folks on this Island and some of them have been here for a while. This isn't the first time they have reared their ugly head. Be very careful when you vote. Their little group might say or do anything to lure you in. Tami's letter to the pool committie is somewhat surpriseing to me. I have been telling folks that there used to be a different happy nice Tami but now I see she has been a hateful, foul mouthed, lunatic for at least two years. Thank goodness she built her own pool. Wonder why no one is ever over there. I try not to look when I drive by, I'm afraid I might catch a glimpse of Bernie in a speedo. Be patient John. We will fix this in about 9 months. Hope to meet you soon.

Craig

Tina said...

The tree survey was conducted around 2001. I'm not sure who was in charge, but I believe that Arlene compiled the information. As I recall, we inventoried the trees in the road right-of-ways, parks, waterfront and city property. We had a tree expert come in for a tree identification seminar and divided the island up amongst the volunteers to locate the trees, the types and the sizes.
Tina

Roselyn said...

I moved into my second CLS house 3 days after 9/11/01 and called Lowell Brown (bless his sweet heart) because he was surveying trees and he told me I did not need a permit to cut a china berry/tallow because they are trash trees that leach the soil and are toxic to the soil.

DaveC. said...

Alice Westmorland is the Chair of the pool committee and i am her Assistant. The Summer is almost over and a rule change will be considered if anyone other than her and I come to the meetings. Tami has never been to a meeting since I have been on the committee for 6 months and Alice and I were the ones who got the new furniture for the pool thanks to the CHIEF and VERN helping us make it possible. The rules will probably stand until next season and we will listen to people and take appropriate action at that time.

Bryan said...

Be careful, Alice and Dave. The insurence requirements are what drove a large percentage of the current rules, so the last thing we want to do is change them simply because you get a few complaints from some residents who obviously do not like to follow rules no matter what the rule is. Plus, I think any changes to the operating rules of the pool would need to be discussed and approved by Council before they could be implemented.

Bryan

Dr p said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bernie McIntyre said...

Craig - you seem concerned about people being mean and vengeful; you could be describing commentors in this blog: hateful and mean, the end justifies the mean etc. Many of the strongest comments have come from you. Were you given a police warning concerning a terroristic threat against a citizen ? Let's cool it.
And why would you expect to see me in a speedo outfit ? Why should you be concerned with what I would wear and where I go ?