A little something to brighten your day…
Even though you can’t see my tongue, believe me when I say it is firmly in my cheek.
Top 10 grossest food defects the FDA deems safe for humans
10. Chocolate: Any 100-gram sample contains three or more rodent hairs (a typical chocolate bar is about 40 grams)
9. Broccoli (frozen): Average of 60 or more aphids and/or mites per 100 grams
8. Popcorn: One or more rodent excreta pellets are found in one or more subsamples
7. Cherries (fresh, frozen or canned): Average of seven percent or more pieces are rejects due to rot
6. Oregano (ground): Average of 1,250 or more insect fragments per 10 grams
5. Raisins (golden): 10 or more whole or equivalent insects and 35 fruit fly eggs per eight ounces.
4. Strawberries (frozen): Average mold count of 45% or more
3. Red fish and Ocean Perch: 3% of the fillets examined contain 1 or more copepods accompanied by pus pockets
2. Mushrooms (canned): Average of over 20 or more maggots of any size per 100 grams
1. Fig paste: Contains 13 or more insect heads per 100 grams
Courtesy of the SciGuy in the Chronicle.