IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Monday, May 2, 2011

Go NAVY!


Nothing profound to say on this occasion other than I might have been tempted to vote for President Obama if he would have reached down and pulled Osama’s head out of a bucket during his speech last night. Oh well, yet another missed opportunity to impress me.
What a busy weekend around the bay this past weekend was. I hear there were 90+ golf carts in the poker run this year. A record for sure. Maybe I can talk MJ in to getting in on next year’s run. We were keeping everyone hydrated at the company picnic instead.
Then there was Keels and Wheels over at Lakewood Yacht Club. I heard it was spectacular as you would expect.
The Clear Lake Shores Farmers Market was in full swing Saturday with a brand new vendor. Jenn Moon rolled out the Flower cart with lots of fresh cut blooms.
The flea market in Kemah looks to be slowing down a tad but they had lots of completion with the blessing of the fleet on Sunday and whatever that was across the street.
My bad on last post. The 33rd annual FOD Chili Cook-Off is This Saturday, May 7th.
No bird up picture updates today. Hopefully D will send me some updates tonight. The tree guy assures her that once the carvings are done and covered in poly the woodpeckers will leave it alone. My money is on the woodpecker. Have y’all figured out where they are?
Makin’ bacon. The grand finale. I raided Coonies’ woodpile yesterday and pulled out a double armload of very well seasoned Pecan. Stacked it at Jim’s and awaited further instructions. We gathered around 3 when they got back from Keels & Wheels. Jim used a book called “Charcuterie - The Craft of Salting, Smoking & Curing” as his guide for his curing rub. If you know Jim, He added some “extras” to the rub to make it his own. The bellies get double bagged and flipped once a day for a week. Next stop. The smoker. He had his smoker up to temp so we added 6 half bellies and some Pecan. Inserted the thermometer probe in to the slab nearest the firebox and made a big phat Rum & Coke. The goal was 155 degrees internal and then they come off to rest. The smoked product was sliced in to manageable pieces, wrapped and taken home by all parties. I’ll try mine this weekend. MJ cut some choice bits for our next pot of beans. Picture me drooling on my keyboard.
“Some days you’re the windshield, some days you’re the bug….”

No comments: