IslandDrumz

Welcome to our little slice of paradise! Clear Lake Shores is probably one of the best kept secrets in the entire Bay Area. Yes we are an island. We are surrounded by Clear Lake, Jarbo Bayou and the Lazy Bend canals. Plug this in to Google Maps and you'll see what I mean 29.32' by 95.01' We are about half way between Galveston Island and the city of Houston and located in north Galveston county. I will try to keep us up on all the goings on that we can walk, boat, bike or drive our golf carts to. Very few things pi$$ me off but one of them is wasting my precious time. I'll try not to waste yours. Enjoy. ab

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Good morning Clear Lake Shores!

The VLCC Dong Fong Ocean hit Bligh reef on this day in 1989. It was known as the Exxon Valdez back then. That left one hell of a mess. How time flies…..
Did I mention the boys and I rode a camel last week at the rodeo?  His name was goober. I got the back seat. You can get whiplash back there. I heard once that a camel is a horse that was designed by a committee. Goob as he’s known to his friends weighed in at 1800 lbs and I was told he was good for 25mph and up to 40 for short spurts. Who knew? And he was a Bactrian if you must know.
I’m going to send out an email in a bit. You probably already got it, but here it comes again. It has the upcoming Island Wide garage sale info on it. If you are not familiar with the garage sale it is one heck of a gig. Nearly a hundred homes have signed up in the past and folks come from all over both counties looking for deals and man do they find some! If you’re new to the Island keep a weather eye on traffic. It gets pretty thick and most folks don’t know how to navigate our skinny streets. It’s best to stay in your driveway and keep the bloody Mary mix handy. As usual we will be offering lunch and drinks to all the visitors, one grill at the front of the Island and one at Lowell Brown Sundial park. Coonie is working on the menu but I think we’re going to mix it up a bit. Cool.
The second anniversary of our Farmer’s Market is coming up and they are planning something special. As everyone knows Island Cookers are only there the first and third Saturdays of the month. It sounds like a deal has been reached to get another set of cooks in there on the weekends when we’re not there. Some of you may have run across John and Karen down at the Kemah Flea market. He’s not near as good a cook as I am but it beats Skippers…….

1 comment:

Dave Petkus said...

The Clear Lake Shores Shore Drive is 1.739 miles around. This was measured by a Surveyor’s wheel. That contraption looks like a small bicycle wheel with a handle and a counter. The wheel is designed to be 4.0 feet in circumference, and it has four equally spaced nubs on the wheel wall that clicks the counter one number every time a nub strikes it. I walked this wheel around the island staying about one foot from the outside edge. For my convenience, I started at the north edge of my driveway. There are now dayglo orange marks every quarter of a mile going clockwise. The counter was reset to zero every quarter of a mile, but the total back to my starting place was 9,184 feet. That is probably one foot longer than actual because I had to dodge two trucks parked on that side of the road. From those data I calculated that the outside edge of Shore Drive is 9190 feet (1.740 miles), and the inside edge is 9090 feet (1.722 miles). (Shore Drive is 17 feet across at my house.) People that walk, jog, run, bike or skate around the island may want to know that information. Dave Petkus 10/24/14